Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 AM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I'm curious, do all of you people who hate Vibrant Media's IntelliTXT ads so much read with your mouse cursor? As in, you move your mouse along the line as you read? I never knew people did that until I heard someone complain about IntelliTXT and when I asked why he hovered over links that are distinctly marked as ads if he knew they were ads, and he said that's how he reads.
No, the mouse cursor sits on the middle of the screen, and I scroll. However, that is not the issue.

If I move my mouse to, say, head up to the top of the browser window to open a bookmark, or switch to a different tab, or down to the dock to open a different app, and accidentally pass over one of the crap links, it pops up. I can be moving the mouse pointer rapidly - if it happens to hover over one of the links, it pops up. It is INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING. It has nothing to do with reading the material - it's usually what happens after I read and want to do something else, or if I am interrupted and need to switch to something else quickly.

I am glad that you brought this subject up. As owner of this site, you should know how frustrating it can be for people who do not block these crap ads. I remember when I used to use some really badly designed apps when I would ask the question, do the people who make this app actually use it? They cannot be happy when they do. I cannot believe that you are happy that this is such a pain in the neck that I need to block the ads. It would be similar to every time I watched a program on TV and somebody in the room happened to do something, such as scratch their nose, the TV program was immediately interrupted by a five second, very loud and annoying ad.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 AM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
I'm curious, do all of you people who hate Vibrant Media's IntelliTXT ads so much read with your mouse cursor? As in, you move your mouse along the line as you read? I never knew people did that until I heard someone complain about IntelliTXT and when I asked why he hovered over links that are distinctly marked as ads if he knew they were ads, and he said that's how he reads.
Yes, I will sometimes drag my mouse back and forth as I read a long block of text. Helps keep overworked eyes from jumping around as much. I'll often use a ruler or a finger on printed text for the same reason.

Also, if I'm not specifically using the pointer, and I leave it parked on the middle of the screen and use the scroll wheel to move down the page, the cursor can inadvertently activate one of these ads.

If the ad pops up it is often blocking exactly where I am reading, so, it totally interrupts the experience.

So in both of these cases, I would have to actually modify my natural behavior to be sure the cursor avoided these areas of the page so I didn't get the popup. So, in that way, I find these ads more intrusive since they do interrupt the normal user experience with the content of the sites.

Just my 2 cents. And like I said, I'm actually impressed that Vibrant has built in a way for users to shut these off.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
I am glad that you brought this subject up. As owner of this site, you should know how frustrating it can be for people who do not block these crap ads...I cannot believe that you are happy that this is such a pain in the neck that I need to block the ads.
The reality? You're the first, and only, person I've ever seen react so strongly to them - and the only person who is unsatisfied with being able to turn them off on all Thoughts Media sites. You seem to expect me to turn back time and stop myself from using them in the first place. Honestly, it seems nothing will make you happy, so what's the point of me trying?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gohlke View Post
Just my 2 cents. And like I said, I'm actually impressed that Vibrant has built in a way for users to shut these off.
I'm not sure if Vibrant offers it to all publishing partners; it was part of my contract when I signed up with them. If they irritate people, and you certainly raised some valid reasons why they irritate you, people can turn them off. Seems like a win-win to me.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Wuss912
Intellectual

Quote:
The reality? You're the first, and only, person I've ever seen react so strongly to them - and the only person who is unsatisfied with being able to turn them off on all Thoughts Media sites. You seem to expect me to turn back time and stop myself from using them in the first place. Honestly, it seems nothing will make you happy, so what's the point of me trying?
I hate them too the rest of your adds arent so bad but the inline ones SUCK!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss912 View Post
I hate them too the rest of your adds arent so bad but the inline ones SUCK!!!
Well, as has been explained, you can turn them off - please feel free to do so.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM
photopix
Neophyte
Default 1 and 1 -reasonable request

A very reasonable request Jason. I just reset Ad Blocker so that Thought Media can pay it's bills. As I see it, you guys perform a public service. Thanks for the effort.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopix View Post
A very reasonable request Jason. I just reset Ad Blocker so that Thought Media can pay it's bills. As I see it, you guys perform a public service. Thanks for the effort.
Thank you, I really appreciate that!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 AM
freitasm
Oracle

I don't run an ad block. But you should really check the ad networks you are using outside the US/CA for your spare inventory. Popups are not nice!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm View Post
I don't run an ad block. But you should really check the ad networks you are using outside the US/CA for your spare inventory. Popups are not nice!
Yes Mauricio, I saw your Tweet about this - I'll look into it, but without some details, it's 100% impossible for me to do anything about it. I certainly don't allow pop-ups, but it seems NetShelter is working with a third-party for unsold inventory and it must include pop-ups...