Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadave
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCRules
Are office documents used in native file format now, or are they still converted by ActiveSync? (implications for the previous question about mounting as mass storage).
Yes, I believe that is in place for both Word and Excel. PowerPoint does not do any file modifications, so things would be fine there.
:clap: More good news.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_kac
Let me just have my comments on WM5 put this way - I think its the biggest jump in Windows Mobile since WCE 2.1 to Pocket PC 2000. Bigger perhaps.
:alfdance: I've been looking forward to it. Do keep letting us know what you can about the new design etc. Cheers.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_kac
One major thing I wanted to let people know about - WM5 now uses signing for application, much like Smart Phones.
Ah. What more can you tell us about this? Does this mean that carriers etc. who will be giving out PPCs and smartphones with contracts can stop people installing applications that don't come from them? Can you unpack this for us a bit?

Old 05-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Cheetah
Neophyte
Default Outlook upgrade???

Word, Excel and Powerpoint upgrade, but how about Outlook?

Outlook should be upgraded to more closely match PC client version, especially when operating on an Exchange Server.

Any word on "Mobile Outlook"?

Old 05-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Outlook upgrade???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
Word, Excel and Powerpoint upgrade, but how about Outlook?
Of course there is. The enhancements in email handling and the Contacts interface are all a part of Outlook Mobile. MSN services will be well-integrated in Outlook, and there will be more fields available for contact information.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:56 AM
Cheetah
Neophyte
Default Changes to email/Contacts

Quote:
Of course there is. The enhancements in email handling and the Contacts interface are all a part of Outlook Mobile. MSN services will be well-integrated in Outlook, and there will be more fields available for contact information.
Great to hear there will be improvements to some of the basic app functions....but WHERE is there info that there will be any changes to Calendar/Contacts/Email etc.?

I didn't see any mention of these changes anywhere I read.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Changes to email/Contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
Great to hear there will be improvements to some of the basic app functions....but WHERE is there info that there will be any changes to Calendar/Contacts/Email etc.? I didn't see any mention of these changes anywhere I read.
The Keynote is a great place to start. Here's a nice article if you want a bit of an overview at Contacts and Pocket MSN. This is by no means a complete look at all the changes. More will be revealed as time goes on - reviews will begin to surface, etc.