Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-10-2005, 06:57 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaflipper
VERY nice Alex, thanks for posting that.

Since you have obviously been using it for some time now, just how good is the 5 way navigation on a device that that has a 5 way rocker? Have you tried that yet?

For example, how "Treo-esque" would you say navigation is or will be on devices optimized for one handed operation?

Thanks for any info...
Honestly, until one has a device with hardware buttons for the soft keys, I don't think there will be much difference. But don't take my opinion for it because I don't like using hardware keys anyway. The only hardware key I love is a jog dial

Old 05-10-2005, 07:04 PM
surur
Mystic

Alex, any information regarding the two main points

1) Memory usage: Is it different, and how?

2) Utilization of VGA screens. Any difference?

Surur

Old 05-10-2005, 07:16 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

Yes to both. I will say I don't want to be the fount of WM5 info just because I've got work to do and I know the questions on this will come flowing through like a dam burst

WM5 is a huge upgrade. The persistent store means that your FlashROM will be used like a hard drive and your RAM will be used as real RAM - just like on a desktop PC. For a lot of apps, very few changes have to be made. For an app like PI that uses the PIM databases, thousands of lines of code had to be changed.

PI 2005 R2 (the next release) is already ported to WM5. We're ready now. But even so, we're only providing the CAB files upon request because R2 is still being worked on for new features shared among WM05/03/02 versions.

So if you have a WM5 device (not pirated - legal copy only please), feel free to contact us for a CAB file

Old 05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_kac
The persistent store means that your FlashROM will be used like a hard drive and your RAM will be used as real RAM - just like on a desktop PC.
Brillaint. It sounds like MS is doing it right, unlike the treo-esque nightmare that is NVFS.

Surur

Old 05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Any information on ActiveSync 4.0?

[Pessimism]
If I'm not getting an upgrade to WM5.0 atleast I hope to get a better ActiveSync.
[/Pessimism]

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 05-10-2005, 07:31 PM
rudolph
Ponderer
Default emulator & sdk

How can developers of current PPC applications get the 2005 sdk and emulator, in order to test/fix their applications for 2005 compatibility?

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner753
Any information on ActiveSync 4.0?

[Pessimism]
If I'm not getting an upgrade to WM5.0 atleast I hope to get a better ActiveSync.
[/Pessimism]
You will be able to get it, but you won't really have any new features unless you have a Windows Mobile 5 devices. But I am running it with Windows Mobile 2003 SE devices and it works fine.

Details: http://www.davespda.com/index.php?itemid=367

Old 05-10-2005, 07:37 PM
KTamas
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_kac
Yes to both. I will say I don't want to be the fount of WM5 info just because I've got work to do and I know the questions on this will come flowing through like a dam burst

WM5 is a huge upgrade. The persistent store means that your FlashROM will be used like a hard drive and your RAM will be used as real RAM - just like on a desktop PC. For a lot of apps, very few changes have to be made. For an app like PI that uses the PIM databases, thousands of lines of code had to be changed.

PI 2005 R2 (the next release) is already ported to WM5. We're ready now. But even so, we're only providing the CAB files upon request because R2 is still being worked on for new features shared among WM05/03/02 versions.

So if you have a WM5 device (not pirated - legal copy only please), feel free to contact us for a CAB file
Is the emulator images freely avaible?

Old 05-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger
Default Re: emulator & sdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolph
How can developers of current PPC applications get the 2005 sdk and emulator, in order to test/fix their applications for 2005 compatibility?
It looks like attendees at MEDC 2005 will get that, but the SDK and Emulator downloads do not seem to be public on the Microsoft website yet.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Any word on when vendors will roll out new hardware? I'm betting traditional Pocket PC hardware hardware design is going to change, especially button layouts.