Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Content Creation & Management

Old 03-20-2007, 01:43 AM
zomigi
Pupil

Damion,

There's a problem with the tutorial about using DVD Decrypter and AutoGK: you never specify that you need to switch DVD Decrypter's mode to IFO instead of File. It starts in File mode by default. I followed your directions (not switching to IFO mode) and of course did not end up with an IFO file, only one VOB file. I tried converting this to AVI anyway, and it worked, but it was only one segment of the movie. Being a complete and utter newbie at this, I had to search around online before I finally found a site that showed a screenshot of the Mode menu, from which I was able to guess that's what I needed to change. So I finally got it working, but you may want to amend your original tutorial if you can to add that very important step. Other than that, it was great. Thanks very much for showing a free way to rip DVDs. Is there any advantage of DVD Decrypter over DVD Shrink?

Unfortunately, I cannot get Windows Media Encoder to work. I follow all the steps exactly, but when I click Start Encoding it pops up a box saying it encountered errors and can't encode the file. If I look at the error log, all it tells me is that it encountered unsupported or corrupt data, which is not helpful at all. If I then try to click start encoding a second time, the program crashes. Do you have any idea why this might be and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Zoe

Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
zomigi
Pupil

Oh, one other thing. At the end of your original tutorial, Damion, you say it's ok to delete the VOB files, but you don't indicate whether I can delete the agk_tmp folder that AutoGK created or its log file. I did delete these, so that all I had left at the very end was the AVI file. Could this be the problem with converting it in Windows Media Encoder?

Thanks,
Zoe

Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 AM
michael82
Neophyte

I get encoding errors too. The error log says it encountered problems when it started messing around with audio. All I am left with for an output file is a 50-60kbs video file.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomigi View Post
There's a problem with the tutorial about using DVD Decrypter and AutoGK: you never specify that you need to switch DVD Decrypter's mode to IFO instead of File. It starts in File mode by default.
You're using an older version of AutoGK. They did away with the DVD mode a version or two ago. You want to leave AutoGK in File mode and select the .IFO file, not the .VOB files. The .IFO file points AutoGK to all the appropriate .VOB files, in their proper order.

Quote:
Is there any advantage of DVD Decrypter over DVD Shrink?
Not that I know of, other than AutoGK was meant to work alongside DVD Decrypter. If you attempt to rip the .VOB files using DVD Shrink and then try to process them with AutoGK, you may get an error message that states "Be sure you used DVD Decrypter to rip the files" or something like that.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot get Windows Media Encoder to work. I follow all the steps exactly, but when I click Start Encoding it pops up a box saying it encountered errors and can't encode the file. If I look at the error log, all it tells me is that it encountered unsupported or corrupt data, which is not helpful at all. If I then try to click start encoding a second time, the program crashes. Do you have any idea why this might be and how I can fix it?
That's a new one on me. I've never encountered any errors from Window Media Encoder when I try to process an AVI file I've ripped using my AutoGK method. I just did Alexander the Directors Cut last night (Lorri won't watch it with me, so it's all about the Zune and a 90-minute commute).

Hope this helps a little...

Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Damion Chaplin

I should also mention that AutoGK (really the Virtual Dub Mod) has a problem with Vista. Alas, I have been unable to use my DVD ripping method ever since I upgraded to Vista. Thankfully I still have a laptop with XP on it...

So if you're using Vista, that may be the source of your error messages. I've never encountered an error using WME or DVD Decrypter in Vista, just AutoGK...

Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 PM
ryalt7
Neophyte
Default same problem as zoe...

I'm having the exact same problem. I successfully ripped my DVD and converted it with Auto GK to an avi file that is playable, but when i use windows media encoder I get a message saying there are 33 errors, corrupted files, etc. etc. and when I try it again, the program shuts down.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Damion Chaplin

You guys are really throwing me here! I've used this identical procedure dozens of times with two different computers and I've never had WME error out on me.

I wish I knew what you guys were doing so I could duplicate it here. However, if you say you're following the directions precisely, I'll have to assume it's not something you guys are 'doing'.

So, what happens if you rip the DVD into an Xvid file? Same errors? Have you ever got it to work using any AVI or MPEG file? Try encoding a file you didn't rip from a DVD. Try installing the latest Divx and Xvid codecs (do not uninstall Divx 5) and see where that gets you (install Divx, then Xvid). Re-download the WME and reinstall it. Copy the AVI file to a different drive and try to encode it from there. Do you have any special video accelerator programs running? What programs do you have running that may interfere? How about older video encoder programs that you installed and tried out but don't use? Performed any registry changes lately?

These are the simple procedures and questions I would begin with if it were happening to me...

I'd be interested to know the results...

Old 05-16-2007, 03:19 AM
zomigi
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion Chaplin View Post
You're using an older version of AutoGK. They did away with the DVD mode a version or two ago. You want to leave AutoGK in File mode and select the .IFO file, not the .VOB files. The .IFO file points AutoGK to all the appropriate .VOB files, in their proper order.
No, this is not related to AutoGK. This is a setting in DVD Decrypter I'm referring to. You have to manually set it to IFO mode, which you don't specify in your tutorial, and which thus screwed me up the first time I worked through it. Just pointing out a small oversight. :-)

By the way, I'm not on Windows Vista, I'm on Windows XP Media Center. I haven't tried using WME again, though. I will try to use it on a non-DVD ripped file and let you know how it goes.

What's a good way to rip a bunch of TV episodes off of a single disc so that each is a standalone video file? I would prefer not to have to select one, convert it, select the next one, convert, etc, but instead select and convert them all at once. It doesn't look like I can do this with DVD Decrypter, right? Can DVD Shrink do this?

Thanks,
Zoe

Old 06-28-2007, 02:11 AM
esmith4
Neophyte

work great. just one question. how do you save these settings?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM
tonster91
Neophyte

it keeps on telling me i have a codec problem:

Quote:
"The following error occured while setting up the source 'Source 1':

One or more codecs required to open this content could not be found.(0xC00D1B83)