Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!


Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune News

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM
RichL
Pupil
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 38

So, in the UK, it's 1 cheaper than Spotify but with fewer devices supported (WP7 vs. iPhone/Android/Symbian/possibly WP7).

I wonder what the catalogue size will be like?
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-21-2010, 04:14 PM
rck
Pupil
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Krebs View Post
Any word on when the software comes out? It looks like the only new feature they listed was instant HD streaming (and WP7 support, but that's a given). Anything cool for us current Zune owners?
I hope they have some bug fixes included. My wife and I have Zune 30s. We have been struggling ever since Version 4.x came out with converted videos (and video podcasts) incorrectly displaying the used storage in the software after sync'd to the Zune. Once it is incorrect, you have to change the sync options to something else and then back before it corrects. I hope they spent as much time on new features as making sure the old ones for the current Zune owners work properly.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Janak Parekh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,171

Well, Jason, this may be one good reason why Apple doesn't do subscriptions. They have managed, over many years, to get a near-unified set of policies across the globe. Expanding that is really, really hard, especially since the labels are even more wary now since their role in the process is in jeopardy.

(And, before you guys wonder how Apple did it: not easily. Not easily at all. You may not remember the old days where Apple only had a store in something like 5 countries...)

--janak
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Well, Jason, this may be one good reason why Apple doesn't do subscriptions.
Indeed, you could very well be right. My belief is that Microsoft thinks the Zune Pass is the end-all-be-all differentiating feature, and they've put most of their effort into that - sacrificing the other efforts toward getting normal purchases of music and video content. I think that's a mistake; the Zune Pass is a unique, excellent benefit for some people, but having the baseline purchase/rental option across ALL supported countries is more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
(And, before you guys wonder how Apple did it: not easily. Not easily at all. You may not remember the old days where Apple only had a store in something like 5 countries...)
I'm curious though, four years after the first iPod came out, how many countries did Apple support? I guess it's not exactly a fair comparison though since Apple started with music and only added video later. Still, I can't help but feel like Microsoft's success in this area is underwhelming...
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Fritzly
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
(And, before you guys wonder how Apple did it: not easily. Not easily at all. You may not remember the old days where Apple only had a store in something like 5 countries...)

--janak
Yes I remember the old days and I wonder how is it possible that the mighty MS and its lawyers after all these years have not been able to plan and come out with something better than what just announced?

Said that I have to give to MS that what they are offering is as convoluted as the licenses for its software........:-)
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Janak Parekh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I'm curious though, four years after the first iPod came out, how many countries did Apple support? I guess it's not exactly a fair comparison though since Apple started with music and only added video later. Still, I can't help but feel like Microsoft's success in this area is underwhelming...
According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_...ationalization, you're right, Apple was actually pretty impressively aggressive. I think being first was a big reason -- the labels were desperate -- and they also went smaller wins (just a la carte tracks). As you imply, the Zune Pass is an ambitious thing to standardize licensing for across all markets, especially with increasingly-recalcitrant labels.

--janak
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
gdoerr56
Ponderer
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 88

I'm more inclined to blame the labels than Microsoft for the country-by-country variation. I'm actually surprised that ANY labels allow subscriptions, it's hard to see how they make money in that process, especially given their historic myopia.

I also think Microsoft treads very carefully in the legal waters these days. After their US and EU legal woes, I think they've pulled back significantly on the agressive behavior that got them into trouble in the first place. Do't forget, they just settled the last issue with the European Commission in December of 2009 so it's all still fresh in their mind.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoerr56 View Post
I'm more inclined to blame the labels than Microsoft for the country-by-country variation. I'm actually surprised that ANY labels allow subscriptions, it's hard to see how they make money in that process, especially given their historic myopia.
Certainly, the labels are the gate-keepers, and Microsoft's job is to lure them into opening those gates for the profit it will give them. If Microsoft can't do that with years of effort, well, that's pretty damn depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoerr56 View Post
I also think Microsoft treads very carefully in the legal waters these days. After their US and EU legal woes, I think they've pulled back significantly on the agressive behavior that got them into trouble in the first place.
You may be right, but I can't figure out how they failed to get a music store launched in Canada...I mean, come on...
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:29 AM.