Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts Accessories

Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian View Post
I know we're talking an entirely different price range here, but I've always been sold on LowePro bags.
I looked at Lowepro, and they have a messenger-style laptop/DSLR bag that I might request for review...looks pretty good!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooof View Post
Like all good camera bag junkies... I try and sell my old bags. It seems to smooth the new bag purchase with my wife when I sell the old bag,
Oh no, I've already sold those that I don't use. The remaining 7 I have are still being used. Different situation, different bag. I am looking for another 2 more that fits my particular needs.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I looked at Lowepro, and they have a messenger-style laptop/DSLR bag that I might request for review...looks pretty good!
Jason, which bag is that? I don't recall a shoulder bag that holds both camera and notebook that isn't bloody enormous (Stealth Reporter 550/600 AW, Classified 250).

The Classified 250 in particular is big due to some awful design. It's also a very heavy bag for what it carries.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
The Classified 250 in particular is big due to some awful design. It's also a very heavy bag for what it carries.
Yeah, the Classified 250 is what I was looking at:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,2123,20.htm

You're saying it sucks?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

"Sucks" is a bit strong. But it certainly is not my first choice.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

I wish that some of the companies that offer customized bags, like Timbuk2, offered something along these lines. It would be GREAT to be able to build a custom bag like you can on www.timbuk2.com.

BTW, for messenger or utility bags, you cannot beat a customized Timbuk2 bag, IMO.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
I wish that some of the companies that offer customized bags, like Timbuk2, offered something along these lines.
I didn't realize Timbuk2 had a customized bag option - I built one and it was pretty sweet. Didn't order it though...maybe I'll check one out for a review sometime.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Spooof
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Isn't that basically what I put in the bag though? Laptop, D300 with battery grip, 24-70 lens, 70-200 lens, 50mm lens.

Vostro v13 is slightly smaller than a 15MBP... I have found that an inch or so makes a big difference..

edit... double checked the measurements and technically the 15"MBP will fit but it would be tight. I prefer a bit of breathing room. I should try the MBP in this Tenba bag. It might have the extra inch over the crumpler. I did get my MBP and gear to fit in the Crumpler but it I did not think that it would travel well being so tight.

Last edited by Spooof; 07-13-2010 at 12:53 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 AM
Spooof
Ponderer

Quote:
I also find the Crumpler designs (at least the ones I've tried) to not be flexible enough when it comes to internal dividers ...

I know we're talking an entirely different price range here, but I've always been sold on LowePro bags....
I really only like the one style of Crumpler bags and found the dividers to be as flexible as they could be for a messenger bag. At least fine for what I wanted.

As for LowePro I like their design and quality but feel that the LowePro label and name is recognized all over the world. It kind of broadcasts "steal me...steal me... I am expensive camera gear" So I prefer lesser known brands.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooof View Post
I really only like the one style of Crumpler bags and found the dividers to be as flexible as they could be for a messenger bag. At least fine for what I wanted.

As for LowePro I like their design and quality but feel that the LowePro label and name is recognized all over the world. It kind of broadcasts "steal me...steal me... I am expensive camera gear" So I prefer lesser known brands.
Ok, advice from what I learnt from friends who have had stuff stolen from them; the thieves KNOW. Not just the brand, but from the shape and style of the bag. Do not count on security through obscurity!