Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Printing

Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
bRIZZAd
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Wow, that turned out great! Amazing results. So that's a two-page layout of an image with a PNG gradient put on top, then text on top of that? I really like that effect. Thanks for coming back to share.
It is a two page layout, with the one Abu Simbel image stretched across 2/3 of the layout. I used their color gradient image mask to fade the left-hand side of the image, so it blends with the black background (set in their app). The text is layed over top using their application as well. Their color gradient image masks do have limitations when compared to doing the same thing in photoshop. There are only a couple choices for intensity (how strong the fade is or where it starts from on an image). Regardless, I used their color gradient image masks where possible to avoid potential print quality differences vs. screen.

I leveraged the .PNG Alpha Channel transparencies on images like this one. There is a transparency to allow their black background color to reach right up to the jagged edges on the image:

Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRIZZAd View Post
I leveraged the .PNG Alpha Channel transparencies on images like this one. There is a transparency to allow their black background color to reach right up to the jagged edges on the image:
I did that a lot myself - I'm a big fan of transparent PNG files. Though not of how big they are when it's a photographic-style image with a lot of detail...the file sizes are HUGE!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 PM
AmberSteele
Neophyte
Default ICC profiles

Hi Jason,

First off, I loved your review, it was awesome (and I would donate to support your effort but I'm not working currently so I can't; maybe some day!).

I wanted to address something that seems to keep coming up here though- the ICC profiles. You've mentioned a few times that unless you have a color-calibrated and super sophisticated monitor that it doesn't matter and not to bother. This simply isn't true. I have a degree in photography and one of the things we spent a whole semester on was color management (not that it makes me an expert by any means- you could spend a lifetime learning about it I'm sure!). While the monitor certainly plays a part, the ICC profiles deal with the printer and the paper, and they can make a HUGE difference in the way a print turns out. Each printer has a specific color gamut that it can print (and that includes how many shades of grey, etc.), and each paper absorbs ink differently (not to mention that each printer uses a different kind of ink/dye/pigment), so you're in essence looking at how a print will turn out on a specific printer with a specific paper. And obviously having a great monitor will help to see these differences better, but they're usually clearly visible no matter what you're using.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Dinger928
Neophyte
Default Still.....?

Jason,

Great article. Having read the entire thread here, I'm still wondering if you feel that Mypublisher still gets your top vote? I was hoping to use them now that I have accumulated enough photos of the things I wanted to put into a book. Plus it doesn't hurt that now they are offering a buy one, get one....

TIA

Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinger928 View Post
Great article. Having read the entire thread here, I'm still wondering if you feel that Mypublisher still gets your top vote?
Yes, I plan on using MyPublisher for my next photo book project. They're really top notch!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
BudPritchard
Pupil
Thumbs up Mixbook

Finally found a Photobook site that is the easiest to use for my wife. Allows her to drag and drop photos and textboxes, move and resize objects, select backgrounds and layouts, etc without having separate edit and arrange functions.
Font sizes in text box can be different on separate lines.
Downside is when pictures are selected from standard dialog box, it can take a few minutes to upload.
Coffee break time!
The web page window has no back and forward buttons. Other programs did not operate this way and you could navigate off the page and lose everything you were working on. This happened to us.
Web page has save button so you can save things at critical times. The program also performs a autosave at certain times and intervals.

Best we have used so far.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM
bRIZZAd
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRIZZAd View Post
We ended up using Smilebooks out of the USA. Their cost when compared to anyone else for lay-flat pages, coupled with their frequently offered coupon codes made them an extremely affordable option when compared to Adoramapix & Picaboo at the time I was looking around. I simply had a colleague out of the USA ship them to me (I too, am in Calgary). Thanks for your previous mention of BorderLinx.com! Luckily, Smilebook will soon be shipping to Canada (or at least parnering with a Canadian printer... I am not sure which is the case) as they have launched a Canadian website (http://www.smilebooks.ca). Their support people have told me they are hoping to launch this month in August, 2011 though it could be later.
As a follow up - SmileBooks never did launch their Canadian website - although Black's Photography has partnered with CEWE Color to supply their PhotoBook services. They finally have added CEWE's premium Lay-Flat bindings & photo paper offerings this week as of September 4, 2012: (http://www.blacks.ca/User/feeds/blog/id/11761)

Unfortunately Black's prices are 20-25% higher than SmileBooks for the same product (dissappointing, considering it is the same product created in Germany & simply re-shipped). That said, at least if a Canadian is unable to have a friend re-ship from the USA for them using SmileBooks, at least they can support a Canadian retailer without that hassle.

FYI!