Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Brad Wasson
Contributing Editor
Default Have An Extra $500? Build A Dream Media Center

http://lifehacker.com/5936546/how-i...s-for-under-500

"Between the Blu-Ray player, cable box, laptop, and everything else hooked up to your TV, your home theater situation is a mess. Here's how I rolled all those devices into one awesome media center-the media center of my dreams-for under $500."

Who wouldn't like to have the perfect Media Center working effectively at home, all for under $500? Over at Lifehacker they've made a list of ingredients, written out the recipe, and added some anecdotal information to help you get it built, up, and running. Their claim is that the recipe will enable you to play all of your ripped or downloaded movies, TV shows, and music, your DVD and Blu-Ray discs, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime streaming (depending on your geographic location, of course), plus nearly any other streaming channel you can imagine. In addition, they claim you will be able to play any video game you can install on a computer, from old school emulators to modern PC materpieces. Ok hobbyists, let's get cracking.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

I know I'm probably being 'old school' here, but I don't see any capabilty to watch live TV -- cable or otherwise.
Not a big deal, tho, to stick in a TV tuner card, and in my case, have it connected to the component video output of the set-top box, then watch HD TV directly from my provider -- in addition to having all that other nice stuff.

Windows Media Center also does a fairly reasonable job of downloading local cable providers' guides/schedules, so you can select and record without having a separate PVR.