Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
nook
Ponderer
Default Xbox 360 or PS3?

I'm looking at getting another console, I currently have a Wii, and wanted some opinions on what I should get. One question I have is about the Zune integration with the 360. What exactly can you do with the two? And I also wanted to know a few other things:
  • which one has a better internet interface, ie; which one is better for doing stuff on the net
  • which one can stream media from my desktop
  • which one has built in Wi-Fi
  • Is a 20gig drive enough for an average gamer on the 360
  • Is a 40gig drive enough for an average gamer on the PS3

I have been trying to figure out which one to get and I'm about to pull my hair out! Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by nook; 05-19-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 PM
txa1265
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklink View Post
Ps3 is way better than the Xbox interms of graphics and games.
The 40 gig for the ps3 is ok because you can just upgrade the hard disk of your ps3.
The PS3 has theoretically better graphics, but since it is such a pain to develop for and cross-platform development favors the X360 (since it has sold more in the US than the PS3 has sold worldwide, and has a massive attach rate as well), you seldom see the advantage.

I'm no XBOX fanboy, don't own one and am a PC & handheld gamer ... but I don't see how you could argue that the PS3 games are better in any way. XBOX Live and the Arcade are also superior to Sony's offerings.

Sony is struggling badly in this generation, being in 3rd place by a considerable margin, and have failed to differentiate their product - other than as a Blu-Ray player, which is also not tearing up the market.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
I'm looking at getting another console, I currently have a Wii, and wanted some opinions on what I should get. One question I have is about the Zune integration with the 360. What exactly can you do with the two? And I also wanted to know a few other things:
  • which one has a better internet interface, ie; which one is better for doing stuff on the net
  • which one can stream media from my desktop
  • which one has built in Wi-Fi
  • Is a 20gig drive enough for an average gamer on the 360
  • Is a 40gig drive enough for an average gamer on the PS3
  • The Xbox 360 has a stripped down version of Windows Live Messenger and Xbox Live. With Xbox Live, you can send your friends voicemails and messages and invite them to games. Its great for gaming, but that's about it. Don't expect it to replace your computer. You can plug in a USB keyboard for faster typing. There is NO web browser. The rest of the interface is clean and easy to use.
  • The Xbox 360 can stream from your desktop. All you need is Windows Media Connect or Windows Media Player 11.
  • The Xbox 360 has no built in WiFi support, you have to buy a little USB adapter that neatly and cleanly clips on the back, and it is *gasp* 100 bucks! You could just buy a Wireless Bridge for cheaper.
  • The 20 gig hard drive has been big enough for me. I don't store very many videos, music or demos on it and it has been fine.
  • I'm not sure about the Zune, but I do remember my friend plugging his old Zune 30 into his Xbox 360 and playing music off it, just as if it was a portable hard drive.
I own a 360, so I can't tell you much about the ps3. The main reason I bought a 360 is because all of my friends have them. That way, if we want to play Halo 3 or CoD4, we can drag all the 'Boxes together and play and play on Xbox Live.

Last edited by Joel Crane; 07-04-2008 at 09:33 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
gfxmaven
Neophyte

A few erroneous statements in this thread.

The 360 is a better gaming machine than the PS3, but the difference is marginal at most. Avoiding too many technicalities, the 360 has a dedicated video-graphics memory and MUCH larger bus pipeline so it takes the strain of crunching graphics almost entirely off the cpu as well as allow more information flow between the GPU and CPU. The PS3 has no dedicated video memory at all and although it houses SLIGHTLY more powerful processor it is bottle necked by it's small memory bus. The 360 handles full-scene antialiasing completely in video memory (hence the cleaner look of most 360 games compared to PS3) wheras the PS3 must emulate it in software, putting more strain on the CPU cores. All this is information easily attainable on any gaming site (there's a great technical comparison on Gamespot). Don't believe any company's hype, be it Microsoft or Sony...both systems are VERY comparable in terms of gaming power.

That said, I personally own a PS3, and I got it for two reasons alone: BluRay, and a user-upgradable Hard-Drive. I'm a gamer but I'm also a movie buff so it was a no-brainer. But when it comes to online features XBOX Live kills anything the PS3 has to offer at this point. When it comes to games, the 360 has a more diverse catalogue of games to select from. If you're a PC gamer you'll appreciate the 360 more for it's ports of PC blockbusters. But if you want an all-round entertainment beast then go with the PS3. They both stream movies excellently, they both feature excellent DVD support, but only one has true HD BluRay support, and that's the PS3.

My 40Gig PS3 is running out of space fast...but that's because I've ripped about 7 or 8 of my favorite movies to the Hard Drive. I'm thinking of investing in a 300Gig and installing it myself. Is 40Gig enough? Depends on what you intend to do with it/ how many games you intend to have (Gran Turismo Prologue alone is a 5Gig install). For a few games and no movies on the HD I'd say you're fine with 40Gigs.

Another important consideration is reliability. I heard of many people's 360's dying on them (RROD). My PS3 has been pretty good for almost a year, no hiccups. It's even survived two pretty bad power-surges (yes, I have to buy a UPS).

Final consideration: aesthetics. The black PS3 is sexy as hell, even though it's a dust-magnet, and matches most modern HDTV sets. The 360 looks like a game system through and through.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

+1 on the PC ports. I have abandoned PC gaming after buying the Xbox 360. There hasn't been a single game released yet for the PC that wasn't also released on the Xbox that I want. StarCraft 2 is the only upcoming game I can think of.

I am missing out on GT5, and possibly Tourist Trophy 2, if it is ever produced.

This new fall update for the 360 looks like it will improve the media capabilities of the 360 drastically.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 PM
misspatty86
Neophyte

i think the PS3 is cooler. Im getting it for my friend for christmas and it has a bluray player which is pretty awesome

Old 12-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Joel Crane
Intellectual

The ps3 is by far the best Blu-Ray player out there, but unfortunately, downloadable content is already taking over. It came even sooner than I thought with NetFlix on the 360. High def, no discs!

I bought the 360 knowing that I'd use it for multiplayer games as well. Here I am at a college, and how many Ps3's are here? None. 360s? Everywhere. It makes for some massive Halo 3 games.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
leyonchung
Neophyte
Default PS3 and XBox

Make sure it fits your budget. For instance Xbox 360 is cheaper at only $199( but lacks many features, you should probably go with the next-step up and get the full featured one for $299,) while the PS3's is $299 for the new slim, 120GB version(some local stores might still have old stock of the original 80GB $299)
Consider the systems extra features. PS3-built in Blu-ray capability, Playstation Store, Free Playstation Network, Free online, Chat, Internet, Playstation Home, Xbox 360 has features like in game chat, Xbox Live, and Media Center Extender (For use with Home Theatre PC's).
Listen to your instincts. Your friends may have different opinions so stick with your own.
Pick up a gaming magazine or two (OXM, Gamesmaster, etc) and see what they have to say about each system.
Xbox 360 has a full online community which can be accessed for free, but you have to pay a $50 a year service fee for online game matchmaking. The Playstation 3's online service is all free.
Keep in mind that even though both have standard wireless controllers, the 360 controller has a slightly larger middle area in the back for a removable battery pack (Which accepts rechargeable and standard batteries), versus the PS3 controller without a removable battery pack but you plug it in to the PS3 and charges. Also the PS3 has all wireless controllers. Also consider the drawbacks of each.
Consider a Wii if you dislike either of the two, it has many interesting and innovative features. However, the graphics are not comparable to the 360 & PS3, which support up to 1080p. (The Wii only supports up to 480p)
Anything you buy can break so take good care of your stuff.
Have fun!
Remember that graphics and capabilities aren't your first priority, but the games themselves are.