Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Laptops

Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Jeff Campbell
Executive Editor, Apple Thoughts
Default How to Buy a Mac Laptop

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_...d&subj=MacFixIt

"If you are planning on purchasing a used MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, then it is recommended you thoroughly test it to ensure it works properly."

Some great ideas in this article, should you be looking for a used (not refurbished from Apple) Apple laptop. It also gives you a list of equipment and programs to take along with you to test it and make sure it is working properly. 

Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson

I just sold a MacBookPro to a Canadian friend, and there are some "interesting" issues with the buyer unable to update any apps that I installed (like iLife) and updated using App Store updates, since App Store apps are not transferrable, per Apple. And with all updates coming now (in Mountain Lion) this way, this is really causing frustration. She had to delete my apps, and re-buy them, starting with iPhoto.

Apple needs to fix this! The process of buying and selling a computer has really gotten wonky!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

I don't understand what you think is a problem. If you purchased the applications then why should your friend get them for free. If she wants them she has to purchase them herself. I understand that many of us are still old school when it come to tech but the days of giving people serial number and product codes for apps have for the most part gone the way of the dinosaur. It's unfortunate especially if you nolonger need those applications but that's just how it is now. At the same time software developers have to make money to keep doing their job so just giving away software you purchased to someone else hurts their bottom line. So, I'm ally having a hard time understanding what needs to be fixed since nothing seems to be broken by what you said.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Michael Knutson
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Michael Knutson Send a message via MSN to Michael Knutson Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Knutson Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Knutson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattEarp View Post
I don't understand what you think is a problem. If you purchased the applications then why should your friend get them for free. If she wants them she has to purchase them herself. I understand that many of us are still old school when it come to tech but the days of giving people serial number and product codes for apps have for the most part gone the way of the dinosaur. It's unfortunate especially if you nolonger need those applications but that's just how it is now. At the same time software developers have to make money to keep doing their job so just giving away software you purchased to someone else hurts their bottom line. So, I'm ally having a hard time understanding what needs to be fixed since nothing seems to be broken by what you said.
Um, no, it's got nothing to do with old school, or any school. I paid for a Mountain Lion upgrade -for this specific Mac-, upgraded it to Mountain Lion, and sold it after owning it for about two years. The purchased "new" OS version for this specific computer should be able to be transferred from my AppStore account to the new owner.

My replacement Mac came with Mountain Lion, so I'm not trying to do anything in a gray area. It has its own different copy. This is a legitimate purchased copy of the OS that I want to transfer, and I can't. This is broken. Why should she have to go back to Leopard or Snow Leopard if she needs to re-install? An upgraded OS needs to be able to stay with the computer. Somehow.

The other stuff, fine, she's deleted and re-purchased.