Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Engadget Takes on the Olympus PEN E-P3

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/29/...-camera-review/

"Olympus' PEN line has been a beautiful one from the start, but one that found itself out of consideration for many due to the poor value proposition. Even the newest PEN E-P3 isn't a bargain; at $900 with a somewhat versatile 14-42mm lens, it's well north of most entry-level DSLRs, and on-par with many mid-rangers. So, is it really worth splurging on a slightly more compact frame, devilishly good looks and "the world's fastest autofocus system?" Read on for our take."

As a Panasonic GF-1 owner, I've found myself peering over the fence and looking at the Olympus micro 4/3rds cameras lately. I've been looking for an upgrade to my GF-1, but the direction that Panasonic is going with the GF series isn't very appealing to me. I like the manual controls and buttons; I don't want just a point and shoot camera with a better sensor. One thing's for sure though: the above image showing a small body camera with a large lens is the kind of thing I want to avoid.

I'd actually be happy to give up the ability to change lenses entirely if I could get a camera like the GF-1 that had a slender 18mm to 55mm focal range (or thereabouts). Yeah, I know, I should just buy a Nikon P7100 or a Canon G12...

Old 09-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Engadget should stop reviewing cameras. Or get better really quickly.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 AM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

You're quite right, the usual Engadget camera review shows only one thing: they don't know what they're talking about.

Jason, you probably want to wait a bit until the X power zoom lens is available. From Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/26/p...nches-x-serie/

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
Engadget should stop reviewing cameras. Or get better really quickly.
I don't disagree, though I wonder if their style of reviewing cameras is what average buyers can easily grasp...as in, the kind of reviews that more serious photographers enjoy wouldn't fly with the average users.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlof View Post
Jason, you probably want to wait a bit until the X power zoom lens is available.
The 14-42mm lens looks decent, but starting at f/3.5 is unappealing. My GF1 is pretty awful above ISO 800, so a fast lens is a must for keeping things in check. It would be hard to go from an f/1.8 to a f/3.5 to f/5.6. Bleh. So many compromises in photography...I guess that's part of the "fun".

Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I don't disagree, though I wonder if their style of reviewing cameras is what average buyers can easily grasp...as in, the kind of reviews that more serious photographers enjoy wouldn't fly with the average users.
Except I don't think they do that really well even. Plus, at that level, do you really need this kind of review? I think a good review aimed at casual buyers should seek to educate a bit, and not pander at their level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
The 14-42mm lens looks decent, but starting at f/3.5 is unappealing. My GF1 is pretty awful above ISO 800, so a fast lens is a must for keeping things in check. It would be hard to go from an f/1.8 to a f/3.5 to f/5.6. Bleh. So many compromises in photography...I guess that's part of the "fun".
Fast glass is large and heavy (and expensive), hard to get around it. I've learnt to get used to hauling 4kg of gear on a shoulder.