Android Thoughts - Opinions, News, Advice & Reviews on Android Devices

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ANDROID THOUGHTS > Android Talk

Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Use a microSD Card Reader to Transfer Lots of Files Faster than a Direct Connection

I've been really enjoying my HTC Inspire since getting it last week, and wanted to load it up with some music. It came with an 8 GB microSD card, but unlike other platforms (cough, cough) Android is designed with easy user-replaceable storage in mind. Being able to remove the 8 GB card and pop in a 32 GB microSD card is fantastic. Devices that lack user-accessible storage card slots irk me <stares at iPad>.

I connected the HTC Inspire to my computer and transferred over a couple of files. It wasn't immediately obvious where I should put the music (comon' HTC, help a brother out and put a Music folder at the root level) but I realized after a moment that the software scans the entire microSD card for music and it doesn't matter where you put it. I was surprised at how slow the transfer was when I grabbed a few MP3s and dragged them over.

How slow was it? As a test, I grabbed an album with 14 songs (256kbps MP3s) that was 98.4 MB in total. First I dragged and dropped it onto the phone via USB; it took 55 seconds for the transfer, which works out to 1.78 MB per second. Next I removed the microSD card from the phone and put it into my SanDisk memory card reader that's hooked up to a USB 2.0 port on my computer. The transfer took 29 seconds, which works out to 3.93 MB per second. Using the card reader is just over twice as fast as a direct connect method.

Doing a direct-connect transfer of a few songs or albums is still going to be faster than un-mounting the microSD card via software, prying open your phone, taking out the microSD card, putting it in a memory card reader, and reversing the process when you're done. But if you're loading up a big memory card with a lot of music, it's worth the added effort for the time you'll save on the transfer.

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, his wonderful son Logan, and his sometimes obedient dog. He's enjoying learning how to use Android.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 AM
T_Scheen
Pupil

Old but good tip !
Valid for other devices like digital (video)cameras as well !
Been doing that for more than 8 years with my devices/PPCs.
What puzzles me a bit is that the author here is Jason, founder of PocketPC-Thoughts coming up with this tip only now...You knew that already, didn't you ?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Scheen View Post
What puzzles me a bit is that the author here is Jason, founder of PocketPC-Thoughts coming up with this tip only now...You knew that already, didn't you ?
Yes. But I was hoping that in 2011, a dual core device with a microSDHC slot would have closed the gap we've seen for so long...but it seems the bus speed of the device itself is still very slow.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Lucy
Pupil

Good point, about using the reader. Even though most of us have been there, done that, there are a lot of new and younger first time users that may not realize that there are faster solutions. There are a lot of people that can't "think outside the phone". Also, be aware when purchasing large storage cards, to buy from a reputable source. There are cards on ebay that are selling as 32gb and trick your phone and computer into reading as a 32gb. In reality, they are 2gb that are being packaged as 32gb. I lost some really "once in a lifetime" photos that wouldn't write to the card and were vaporized. so, boys and girls, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Always check with those in the know (like this forum) and be informed. My 2 cents to support learning the obvious.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Yes. But I was hoping that in 2011, a dual core device with a microSDHC slot would have closed the gap we've seen for so long...but it seems the bus speed of the device itself is still very slow.
Mine does almost 3 MB/s; that could be due to the read_ahead cache setting being set to a silly 128kB; mine's set to 2048kB.

And yes, editing it is not something for mainstream users, needs rooted phone etc.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Yuan Sheng View Post
Mine does almost 3 MB/s; that could be due to the read_ahead cache setting being set to a silly 128kB; mine's set to 2048kB.
[Darth Vader voice]

Most...impressive.

[/Darth Vader voice]

Old 08-01-2011, 06:55 PM
hummingbirdhill
Ponderer

The ability to sync directly betwixt cell phone and puter was the dealmaker for me when I purchased my Inspire 2/14---a great date to obtain it because I've been in love with it ever since.

Incredibly, my two 20--something grandchildren have traded in their iPhones for Inspires after watching me operate my Inspire.

Now if I could only sync my contacts directly from my Inspire to my Toshiba Thrive . . .

Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

The problem on some devices, both my droid and my tablet are that the cards aren't easily accessible. In the case of my phone, I have to take it out of the case and remove the battery to get to the card. And for my Iconia, the case fits very snugly so it is kind of a pain to slide out. Plus those dang microSD cards are just so small I'm worried I'm going to lose them if I start messing with them!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gohlke View Post
The problem on some devices, both my droid and my tablet are that the cards aren't easily accessible.
Yeah, it can be a hassle with some devices. For me at least, it was worth the hassle because I was transferring over 6 GB worth of music. From now on, if it's a few albums, I'll just do a direct connect.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Yea, card slots need to be accessible enough. Taking out a card should not require me to power off the device in any way.