Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM
jimtravis
Pupil
Default Apple hardware failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Actually, not exactly right.

Apple is the master of absolute best quality and customer service. EVERY year they top the lists. For computers, MP3 players, and now phones. ...
They may top the charts, but all my early hardware failures have been with the allegedly superior Apple components. In some cases, the failures may have been heat related which is enhanced, if not caused by Apple's obsession with thinness which can hinder proper cooling. The only laptop I consistently used with a notebook cooler was an early MacBook Pro which I was concerned may burn the furniture it was on because the center rear (graphic card) got so hot. I also would not leave the house, and leave it, or an iMac G5 running due to heat issues. I would rather a 1 1/4" thick laptop that was properly cooled than a 1" thick laptop that could potentially burn me. I have several less expensive Windows based laptops with allegedly inferior components that have given much better service, cost quite a bit less, and for me, were the "just works" machines. These same Windows based machines could play video for hours, and be barely lukewarm while the Apple machines would be almost too hot to be near. The Apple machines were the problem hardware machines, and the only machines that required an OS reinstall due to faulty updates from Apple, or the spinning beachball of death.

Last edited by jimtravis; 05-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: wordsmithing

Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtravis View Post
They may top the charts, but all my early hardware failures have been with the allegedly superior Apple components. In some cases, the failures may have been heat related which is enhanced, if not caused by Apple's obsession with thinness which can hinder proper cooling.
Agreed. I'm also amazed at the way that Apple will also sacrifice physical usability for the sake of thinness. I found my iPod Touch 4G nearly impossible to grip comfortably until I put a skin on it. Not to mention the soft, easily scratched material choices on some of their products.