Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home News

Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Intel's Lightpeak Technology is now Dubbed Thunderbolt

http://newsroom.intel.com/community...pc-just-arrived

"Intel Corporation today announced the availability of ThunderboltTM technology, a new high-speed PC connection technology that brings together high-speed data transfer and high-definition (HD) display on to a single cable. Running at 10Gbps, Thunderbolt technology can transfer a full-length HD movie in less than 30 seconds. This Intel-developed technology is coming to market through a technical collaboration with Apple, and is available first on Apple's new line of MacBook Pro laptop computers."

One of the key technologies revealed today in Apple's line of refreshed Macbook Pros is Thunderbolt. I knew it was based on Lightpeak, but when I saw Apple calling it Thunderbolt I was concerned it was going to be an Apple-only term, and we were about to enter into an era where every laptop OEM would have their own term for the technology: "No, no, this isn't Thunderbolt, it's ULTRABOLT!" Turns out that's not the case: Thunderbolt is the new name for Lightpeak, and it will be used by all the OEMs. That's good news. What do you think about the name? It's an unusual name for a technology when compared to the likes of USB 3.0 and SATA; it's more in line with Firewire. Regardless, Thunderbolt is here to stay and offers some compelling features (more on that later).

Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 PM
John London
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via MSN to John London

I like the previous name, Lightpeak better. Now I feel I have to watch the weather before I plug in any devices.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35a View Post
I like the previous name, Lightpeak better. Now I feel I have to watch the weather before I plug in any devices.
Yeah, I agree - Lightpeak was a techy sounding name. Thunderbolt is pretty cheesy.