Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard76 View Post
That's good to know Sven, thanks. Just so I understand it right.....so you have to set both of those switches to 'off'. And you can still use WiFi while the screen is on and you can get phone calls either way?
Yup. Pretty sure you do have to turn both off. One is for the higher speed data, 3G, and the other just data, Edge. Not sure if just setting data off would tell it you don't want any and include the 3G in the request. It actually might work that way. Turning off just 3G can have some benefits I believe in roaming situations where getting 3G would cause you to be roaming, but Edge would be available without it.

I don't have a problem with it connecting to WiFi, or BT for that matter. The WiFi just kicks off when sleeping. Don't know if needing some data doesn't take it far enough out of sleep to start WiFi, or the WiFi just doesn't come up fast enough, for these little data grabs. The screen certainly never comes on, and that is the only time I can tell if WiFi is really connected, without sitting and monitoring the AP via its web interface. I'm sure that was a decision debated at MS. Whether to leave WiFi on, a battery drain, when the device is otherwise not in use. Probably should be dependent on whether it is on external power at least. For the most part, like you, I haven't seen much difference in my iPhone data use and my WP7 data use, so possibly MS tests showed that turning off WiFi wasn't a big deal. Seems like there is something else going on here than a basic flaw. Something is demanding more data than it should be, and that is highlighting the WiFi disconnect 'feature'.