Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune Desktop Software Client Update to 4.7

http://www.zune.net

Today is Windows Phone 7 launch day, and as such, there's a new Zune desktop client ready for you to download; it's version 4.7, and it brings with it a lot of user interface tweaks. I've just installed it and am checking it out now...and I'm seeing more than a few ugly surprises. Here's the official word from the Zune's PR people:

"As you may know, the Zune experience is built directly into the Music+Video hub on every Windows Phone 7, providing a great media experience on the handsets for personal media collection playback, as well as the ability to stream millions of songs wirelessly with a Zune Pass subscription in the US, UK, France, Italy and Spain. In addition, the Zune software will serve as the Windows-based PC sync client for the handsets allowing a user to manage and transfer their media between PCs and Windows Phone 7 handsets.

In support of the forthcoming availability of Windows Phone 7, we are beginning to roll out the updated Zune PC software (version 4.7) today. Zune PC software will be available to download for free from Zune.net. By having access to the software now, consumers around the world can familiarize themselves with all that Zune has to offer and get ready for Windows Phone 7.

The Zune PC software provides a best-in-class experience to manage, discover and enjoy digital media with a variety of exclusive features including new enhancements such as:

• First Connect: provides a simple out-of-the box experience for Windows Phone 7 customers with automatic updates to Zune content upon initial connection

• HD Streaming Video: enables instant-on HD video streaming available on your Windows-based PC for many rented and purchased videos

• Photo Sync: allows a smoother process for transferring photos from a Windows Phone to your Windows-based PC

• Sync Media: lets users purchase music and videos through Windows Phone 7 and sync content with their Windows-based PC

• Parental Controls & Rating on Videos: gives parents more control of available content streamed or downloaded to a phone

Additionally, customers in the US, UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain will also be able to use the Zune software to access the Zune Marketplace - a one stop shop for music, videos and more. Customers in the UK, France, Italy and Spain will also be able to subscribe to Zune Pass for £8.99/9.99 to get unlimited downloads and streaming access to the Zune music catalogue using the Zune PC software.

For more information around the international availability of Zune services, click here. For more information on the new Zune PC software, please visit www.zune.net"

More to come...

Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM
JohnforAmerica
Neophyte
Default Huh?

What are the "ugly" things you speak of?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
NeilE
Ponderer

Ugly surprises? Details please!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilE View Post
Ugly surprises? Details please!
Well, so far, I can't see the Music on the Zune Marketplace - it looks like they're doing IP-based filtering to finally stop people outside "authorized" countries to, gasp, BROWSE FOR MUSIC.

When I go into MARKETPLACE > APPS I see a big ugly thing pop up that says "ERROR. THIS ITEM IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AT ZUNE MARKETPLACE." Just saw a tweet that says that's a bug that will get fixed.

I also have nothing listed under VIDEOS in my collection any longer; I've confirmed that my libraries are still configured correctly. I can't see any reason why it's refusing to index my videos.

On the plus side, start-up performance seems to be better. <weak applause>

Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 AM
FtheK
Pupil

Another point for the plus side, they FINALLY allowed the higher quality podcast codec that collegehumour are now using to actually play. I'm so happy.

Also, I'm noticing not just the startup time to be better, but performance overall seems to be quite a bit faster. There's also a small improvement on the pictures screen.

Before I edited, this said I was fine changing back my location to the UK, but it turns out I hadn't restarted the Zune software after doing that. In fact, this completely buggers things up. All the Zune HD apps disappear (because it was never, and apparently there are no plans to sell it here). Even the podcasts section in the marketplace disappears, and all the podcasts you've downloaded disappear (which is kind of weird). You also still have to log in to Zune with a email address from the same country as your PC is set to. Looks like I'm stuck with my location in the US a little longer. I'm pretty sure there wasn't even a social in the UK version (Why???).

Last edited by FtheK; 10-12-2010 at 01:49 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtheK View Post
Another point for the plus side, they FINALLY allowed the higher quality podcast codec that collegehumour are now using to actually play. I'm so happy.
Oh yeah? That's great to hear! I finally gave up two weeks ago after reporting problems with the feed for the 7th time. Glad to hear it's fixed, but damn, that took waaaaaaaay too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtheK View Post
Before I edited, this said I was fine changing back my location to the UK, but it turns out I hadn't restarted the Zune software after doing that. In fact, this completely buggers things up. All the Zune HD apps disappear (because it was never, and apparently there are no plans to sell it here). Even the podcasts section in the marketplace disappears, and all the podcasts you've downloaded disappear (which is kind of weird). You also still have to log in to Zune with a email address from the same country as your PC is set to. Looks like I'm stuck with my location in the US a little longer. I'm pretty sure there wasn't even a social in the UK version (Why???).
<sigh> It's realy awful how Microsoft makes things difficult for international users. This remains a significant black eye upon the product - I just can't reccomend it to anyone outside the USA because it's so frustrating. This type of thing should be getting better, not worse. I can browse music from Amazon's MP3 store; why can't I browse music from the Zune Marketplace? The worst part is how it breaks the artist look-up feature, etc. It's just ugly.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Lotheric
Pupil

For me, the SmartDJ feature disappeared after the update (Canadian setting).

Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 PM
flooder
Ponderer

Why did they take away the taskbar toolbar!!

Loved that option. It isn't in the general settings anymore!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 PM
ujnhunter
Neophyte

Sounds pretty crappy to me. At least I know why I couldn't log into my Zune account this morning though. Kept telling me that I needed a Software Update to log in but when I checked for Software Update it said there were none. :P Lame.