¹ The Dell Lightning: One Hot Windows Phone 7 Device! - Page 2 - Thoughts Media Forums

Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Dell Windows Phones

Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 PM
signothefish
Intellectual

I would dig it a whole heck of a lot more if it was on CDMA. As it is, I don't care to do business with AT&T or T-Mobile. Their plans are too expensive, and their networks are crap.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 PM
OTHHC
Pupil
Default Portrait sliders & Swype

Jason - not sure if you have given Swype a try and enough time to get good at it? I'm in my first week with my new T9193 / HD2 and I have been a hardware keyboard guy forever, including 2 years on Blackberries and more WinMo devices than I can count. With the other benefits of the HD2, I think I can live without the keyboard and most of my use is corporate.

The Dell device looks nice, but I've never been a fan of portrait sliders, so I don't think it is for me. The problem with Windows Phone 7 from my perspective is that there is so many attributes that have simply copied the iPhone model - honestly, if I wanted what Windows Phone 7 offers, I think I'd be better off with an OS 4 iPhone (I'll start looking under bar stools :^).

On the other hand, if I want an open, powerful and flexible device, I get the feeling that my next phone may be Android. They are doing a better job of what Windows Mobile has always tried to do and they are advancing much more quickly than Microsoft. They may stumble, but they aren't afraid to try things and they have a huge community backing them.

Having said all that, the HD2 is the best phone I have ever owned. I replaced my HTC TP2 with this and while it was ghastly expensive, I think it was worth it.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
maxnix
Intellectual
Talking Smartphone Easter!

Wow! the SCH-i730 is reborn!

Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Wow! the SCH-i730 is reborn!
Don't laugh, that was my favorite WM device for a long time. Very usable for it's time.

Anyway, love the form factor of the Lightning, but seriously, a nice new high end device shackled with 8GB of memory, and no expandability-- available on $99.00 iPhones everywhere. What the heck is Dell thinking? Seriously is the extra $3.00 for a 16 GB SD card going to ruin their margin?

This skimping of hardware and memory was one of the leading failures with WM versions prior to 7, if OEMs are going to continue down this path not much will change.

Why would you buy this instead of a 32 GB iPhone or a something like the HTC incredible from Android with the ability to carry a 16 GB or 32 GB memory card? I doubt it will be cheaper.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

As a user of Zune services I'm very interested in WM7. I have a Zune HD but really want a convergance device. It becomes a real hassle managing my phone and Zune when I'm out and about. Not so much a problem in the winter with my jacket, but once the whether warms up I start running out of pockets.

I'm very worried about the lack of desktop sync. Thats the only way I can get my work calendar on my current phone.
That and the minimal memory.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 05-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Zman
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector View Post
I like the 4.1" screen. Most people don't seen to get the importance of a reasonable dpi. I have a 2.8" vga screen and that gives it a ridicules dpi of about 286. The problem is I can't make text as small as I want because it's too hard to read. Things should be much better with a 4.1" screen and 480x800 which gives about 228dpi.
Unfortunately its still too much, 480x800 is overkill, it makes the UI slower, less responsive, and games suffer big time. The iPhone resolution is perfect at 480x320 and they should have went with that for sure. QVGA is too blocky, VGA is too many pixels for games, and 480x800 is nuts. The DPI is so high you can't even see the details, totally wasted. Why on earth do you want or need your cellphone to have a higher DPI than your laptop and desktop?

Last edited by Zman; 05-21-2010 at 03:21 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Zman
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
I'm very worried about the lack of desktop sync. Thats the only way I can get my work calendar on my current phone.
That and the minimal memory.
Say goodbye to desktop sync, its a pain, all syncing will be through the cloud from now on, from your hotmail/live account.