Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-28-2009, 12:27 AM
hazcaddy
Pupil
Unhappy I want to be "undiverged"

Following up on the thread "Is the PDA dead", I am one of the (apparently) few people who wants a PDA. Not a Smartphone, just a PDA. If I want to call someone, I'll use my cellphone but, giving away my age, most of the time my cellphone is off and stored in the glovebox of my car.

I guess I don't feel the need to be "always on", and my cellphone is for making calls, not taking calls. There are plenty of places where folks can leave me a voicemail message and I'll get back to them - am I the last dinosaur to think like this?

However, I use my PDA all the time. Lately, it has shown a few signs of impending illness, if not terminal illness. So my daily asset (an iPAQ hx2410) may be on its last legs, yet I cannot find a device with an equivalent capability unless it is "converged".

Doing the search on forums like this, and others, I thought the iPAQ211 would work but when you go to the site and drill down, it says it has a life expectancy (regarding usefulness rather than physical durability, I suppose) of three years. As it has been out for a while, why should I spend $500+ for a now self-admitted obsolescent device?

Your thoughts?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Probably don't have much choice. I have a 211 and it is a fine device. Still does everything that it did when I got it, and does it well. Without some insight that says HP, or someone else, will be building a WM 6.5 Classic device (no phone), I don't think you would be dissappointed with the 211. P.S. it is only $400. Less if you shop around. http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Hewlett-...1~S-6~OR-0#stt

Old 09-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

One option is to buy a smartphone and turn the phone off. You'll probably have plenty of choices since you wont be limted to what bands it supports.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 10-06-2009, 02:13 AM
Reid Kistler
Philosopher

My daughter-in-law purchased one of the small iPaqs - pretty sure it was the 110/111 model - a bit over a year ago, to run a program required for her Pharmacy internship.

Had the chance to use it briefly, and it seemed very impressive - although admittedly my standard of comparison was my 5 year old Dell Axim X30(mid), which still soldiers on.

(Even though a Fuze has become my constant companion, the X30 still sees daily use, AND still goes along when traveling: it has two batteries, neither of which get sucked up by telephone / texting usage!)

Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
machidiel
Neophyte

I have an Ipaq 211 and a very basic cellphone. I use my 211 more than my cellphone and I'd cry harder if it got lost because it's a lot more expensive and a lot more useful for me.

If your PDA is on its last legs, just search for a bargain price 110/211 and keep your old cellphone.

Tags
pda