¹ Why Isn't The Zune Launched Internationally Yet? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 09-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Why Isn't The Zune Launched Internationally Yet?

First, some background on this problem. Here's what I said in my analysis of the iPod announcements:

"iTunes is in 23 countries. The Zune Marketplace is in one. Microsoft's US-centric approach with the Zune is maddening...I thought there was some light at the end of the tunnel when they launched the Zune in Canada last year, but we never got the Zune Marketplace here, and now the devices being sold here are being killed off. "Disaster" is a good word for how well the Zune launch went in Canada. Between the Zune HD being US-only at launch, and all of the IP-based geographic blocking madness that the Zune software and Web site does, it's like the Zune team is doing everything they can to alienate everyone in the world outside the US."

In the resulting discussion from the post, the issue of this US-centric approach to the Zune was brought up several times, and I floated this theory:

"Apple was the first company to negotiate big, international music distribution deals, and way back then most of the music labels probably though Apple would fail, or at best only be mildly successful. So they said "Sure, 99 cents sounds fine as long as the bit rate sucks." Fast-forward, and iTunes is massively successful. We've watched as the record labels pressured Apple for variable pricing year after year, trying to re-assert control over their music. They finally got it. The labels don't like all the power that Apple has, so here's my theory: they're making it very hard, if not impossible, for the Zune guys to get the same sort of deal that Apple has. They're trying to exert control over the Zune deal in a way they wish they could have done with the Apple deal years ago.

Witness the $1 that Universal demanded Microsoft pay them for every Zune sold. We're talking POWER STRUGGLE here people. Maybe that's one reason why Microsoft can't accomplish now what Apple did years ago - the record labels are more aware of what they want to control.

Second reason? Maybe Microsoft feels that the Zune Pass is SO important that they can't/won't launch Zune Marketplace without it. It's quite integral to the Zune experience - many new Zune features rely on the customer having a Zune Pass - so maybe Microsoft isn't launching in new markets unless that market includes the Zune Pass. I think this is a bit silly - not everyone wants a Zune Pass - but maybe it's another reason? These are just my theories."

Over in the anythingbutipod forums though, we have an actual response from Microsoft person talking about this issue - and it's the first time I've seen any Zune team member really talk about the issue. Here's a snippet from his full post:

"So why aren't we shipping in 80 countries worldwide right now even though we'd love to be? Because business hasn't matured to the point where we can support it," Dave explained in an ABi forum thread regarding the recent Zune HD news. "It's as simple as that. There isn't a simple 'more countries, more sales, more $' equation here. The investment required to enter each individual country is substantial (even by Microsoft standards), not to mention the inventory requirements which require spinning up additional capacity in production lines, etc..."

And there you have it: Microsoft isn't going to launch outside the USA unless they believe the product will sell well enough to justify the investment it would take to launch in that country. If ever there was a recipe for failure, this is it. You don't try to take on an 800 pound gorilla like the iPod and still try to cling to traditional business models while doing it. Yes, Microsoft has a responsibility to their shareholders to use company money wisely, but when you're years behind your competition, you can't take a "chicken and egg" approach to your product, hoping that your incremental success will give you the results you need in order to slowly expand. The Zune is in it's fourth generation, and still stuck being a US-only product.

The product needs momentum, and expanding internationally is the way to get that. The US in particular is extremely Apple-friendly, but the rest of the world? Less so. Witness the less-than-impressive debut of the iPhone in some other countries. Microsoft has an opportunity to deliver a great device and ecosystem to markets around the world that aren't as enamoured with the iPod rather than focusing only on slugging it out with Apple on their home turf.

Zune, you need to grow beyond the US, or you'll die.

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog. He's still searching for the ultimate netbook.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:11 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I agree. This is absurd. As I said in another thread...it may be very risky to do a large, world wide launch. But they HAVE to. You can either guarantee failure with a small launch in one country or take a shot at success.

And how hard would it really be to launch in NA and the EU. If you did a launch like that I find it hard to believe there would be that much more overhead for one more region.

If inventory is a problem, well, Nintendo seemed to do ok with the Wii even if they couldn't put them out nearly fast enough.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:52 AM
doogald
Oracle

I don't know - do you really think that success with the Zune is critical to Microsoft's business going forward? If so, then, of course, it's definitely worth taking a significant gamble and just going full bore. However, if Microsoft can survive if the Zune fails - and I think that this is the case, but you may disagree - then doing a market test (in a huge market, of course) is a great way to see if this thing will have some traction.

It seems obvious that simply having a product with some better features at a slightly better price than the market dominator was not enough to cut significant market share. The Zune HD looks to me as if Microsoft is doing a reset on the business - dropping all previous form factors, etc. With a brand reset, they gain momentum by introducing this product with significant product differentiation and, I would hope, significant marketing/advertising.

So, they do the reset; it should be easy enough to gauge success, failure or fizzle within a sales quarter. If it is successful enough, then they ramp up into other markets (and they can start doing the drudge work now - that can always be abandoned later on.) That seems smart to me, for something that is not necessarily critical to the company's future. If this device, which has significant feature differences from the iPod Touch, does not gain US share, there is no point pissing away money.

And I think thatthe EU is more than adding another market - there are separate agreements that need to be made in each of the member countries, if I remember iTunes' expansion correctly.

Last edited by doogald; 09-12-2009 at 01:55 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 02:01 AM
SoundMix
Ponderer
Default more ramblings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Second reason? Maybe Microsoft feels that the Zune Pass is SO important that they can't/won't launch Zune Marketplace without it. It's quite integral to the Zune experience - many new Zune features rely on the customer having a Zune Pass - so maybe Microsoft isn't launching in new markets unless that market includes the Zune Pass. I think this is a bit silly - not everyone wants a Zune Pass - but maybe it's another reason? These are just my theories."

Agree with your theory!

The Zune pass and Social mean nothing to me. I can even live without the wireless transfer and FM. All I want/need is a well made, reliable player/viewer, with the ability to download podcasts and transfer my music/photos/videos. I would also like that player to be WMP compatible, even though the Zune software itself is pretty good.

Paul

Old 09-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I could take or leave the social aspect, but I am a ZunePass subscriber. Of course I had the Zune80 long before I decided to subscribe. In fact I was opposed to the ZunePass until they added the Keep 10 feature.

I would probably consider the ZuneHD even without the subscription service. However I think being able to get content onto my device away from my PC is key. Especially podcasts.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 AM
aosterloh
Neophyte
Angry Hands off for non-US Customers?

If I live in Germany and get my hands on the Zune HD, what limitations will I have and what hacks/workarounds will I have to deal with? ZunePass, Marketplace ...

I get my MP3s from Amazon and mostly listen to Podcasts. Should I get it or turn to the dark Apple side?

Cheers,

Alex

Old 09-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Stinger
Thinker

I don't understand why it hasn't launched in the UK. Amazon have successfully opened their MP3 store in the UK and subscription-based music is grabbing a lot of mindshare over here. Microsoft doesn't even have any translation worries.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosterloh View Post
If I live in Germany and get my hands on the Zune HD, what limitations will I have and what hacks/workarounds will I have to deal with? ZunePass, Marketplace...
This is what you'll want to read:

http://www.zunethoughts.com/news/sho...r-s-guide.html

The bad news? No Zune Pass for you. The good news? Everything else can be worked around.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:56 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosterloh View Post
If I live in Germany and get my hands on the Zune HD, what limitations will I have and what hacks/workarounds will I have to deal with? ZunePass, Marketplace ... I get my MP3s from Amazon and mostly listen to Podcasts. Should I get it or turn to the dark Apple side?
I also download podcasts, and get music from Amazon. You do not need a Zune pass for any of this. No hacks of workarounds are necessary. The Marketplace is where the podcasts are listed, but they are free. Put your music in the PC's MUSIC folder and it will automatically be picked up by the Zune software.

The PC Zune software is your portal to the Zune hardware but also works GREAT as a PC media player/library.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
korneel
Neophyte

I'm a European Zune-lover myself. I've a Zune 30 and a Zune 120 and when my cousin goes to the US he'll bring me a Zune HD.

My take on the Zune not being released in Europe is simple. I understand that the risk might be too high to release the Zune HD in every European country at one time. BUT they should release the Zune in at least one country so they could estimate if a product would be successful in other countries. The US and Europe are two totally different markets. Europe (the EU, actually) has 23 official languages and 27 countries. A release in all 27 countries at one time would be too risky when they don't have knowledge about the European market.
Take eBay for example. Before they decide whether or not to release a service in the whole EU, they try it off in Belgium. Belgium is a small country with 3 big communities and 10,665,867 inhabitants. There are Flemish (Dutch speakers), Walloon (French speakers) and German Belgians. And in Brussels is a European community of people who work for the European Union.
Microsoft should consider a release in a small European country (like Belgium). Going to the European market without any experience of it is stupid. But not trying to get that experience is even more stupid.

If a product is successful in the US, that doesn't have to mean that it's going to be popular in Europe. They're ignoring a big opportunity for Zune. There's a bigger percentage of Windows-users in Europe than in the United States. Why does Apple have a big market share in the mp3 market in Europe? Because there is no real alternative to the iPod. Microsoft has the chance to fill up that gap, but they aren't even trying. Everybody who sees my Zune is excited about it, every time they ask where to buy it I have to answer they can't. What if the Zune would be a success in Europe? Microsoft wouldn't even know, they can't wait until the Zune gets popular in the US to get it over here. What if Zune can't be that popular in US as Microsoft wants it to be before getting outside of the USA? They're ignoring a big opportunity. Okay, I can understand that they won't do a European release at once, but listen Microsoft, bring Zune to a test country (a small country that has a big population with a variety of cultures in the population) where you can examine if it would be popular in Europe. You need this anyway and how sooner you get there how sooner you can make money.

If anyone knows a member of the Zune Team or a Microsoft employee, spread the word. I'm sure that their marketing guys and economics are smart enough to see that what I'm saying is true.
My theory is based on what the head of eBay Belgium said a few years ago in De Standaard (Belgian - Flemish - paper). Like I said, they test their services like this and Microsoft should test the Zune in Europe on a same way. Here's a translation of a part of that article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Standaard
-Is Belgium is an important country for eBay?
"Oh yes, Belgium is ideal for eBay as a test country. Many innovative features are first introduced on the Belgian site and only then find their way to other countries. Skype, for example, was first integrated at the Belgian site. The classifieds, classifieds for example-estate deals, were first introduced here. Now we include working with SMS services and we work with Proximus to the Vodafone Live platform. "

-Why all of this first in Belgium?

"Because we have two linguistic communities, because many different cultures are present and because we have a relatively high broadband penetration. Also e-commerce in general are increasingly starting to get established. There is still much work to do, yet. "
(the translation of the article happened with an online translator)