¹ Zune HD Rumoured to Ship September 5th - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 06-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune HD Rumoured to Ship September 5th

http://community.winsupersite.com/b...hd-is-real.aspx

"I can't recall if I had stated this date explicitly before, but I have been told that Zune HD will ship on September 5, 2009."

That's what Paul Thurrott says about the Zune ship date. That seems to be in sync with what Microsoft has said about the Zune HD shipping in the fall. That's a little over three months away Zune fans...not so long of a wait! As a side note, I have to wonder why anyone from Microsoft talks to Paul Thurrott - he seems to specialize in getting information from Microsoft then telling it to the world.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
As a side note, I have to wonder why anyone from Microsoft talks to Paul Thurrott - he seems to specialize in getting information from Microsoft then telling it to the world.</p>
That's probably why they do it, actually. They can pretend to be all secretive and stuff but by 'leaking' this, perhaps, they hope that several people who may be considering an iPod Touch (or some other device) will, instead, wait on that until the fall.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
That's probably why they do it, actually. They can pretend to be all secretive and stuff but by 'leaking' this...
I don't know - every time Paul leaks something I tend to hear groaning and cursing from my Microsoft contacts...so I don't know if it's something they appreciate.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer
Default Underwhelmed...

No support for Windows Media Center is just plain stupid. This unit is NOT HD video quality. No AC3. The HD nomenclature a huge stretch. Hd radio...so what, FM works fine. MS is fully capable of creating an Ipod killer. This is not it. Maybe next year if it survives.

Why don't the different developers at MS try talking to one another, they might actually get something accomplished that can compete or surpass Ipod? For now, I see absolutely no reason to replace my Zune 80. I'd rather have the buttons anyhow. It's hard enough as is keeping the screen clean.

Paul

Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I occassionaly listen to his podcast with Leo Laporte. He seems to have a good relationship with the developers in the trenches. How the higher-ups see him is probably a different story.

My only nit with him is he (at least Leo) markets him as the man who discusses all things MS. But his depth of knowledge concerning WM and Zune seems lacking. I can understand that he doesn't prefer them, as that is obvious, but he should commit to understanding them on a level more than the average consumer.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 06-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMix View Post
No support for Windows Media Center is just plain stupid.
What sort of support were you hoping for? Being able to play native DVR-MS files? I'd like to see that myself. Or something else? Microsoft hasn't announced anything about Media Center, for or against, so you might be jumping the gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMix View Post
This unit is NOT HD video quality. No AC3. The HD nomenclature a huge stretch.
This has been discussed in great depth over on Apple Thoughts - I won't repeat myself here, I suggest you check out this thread:

http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f383...-hd-93889.html

Basically, I have a different opinion.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 AM
flamingotrip
Pupil

Is the marketplace ever going to be available to Canada for the zune software? I dont see the point of selling Zune HDs worldwide if only the States can access it.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingotrip View Post
Is the marketplace ever going to be available to Canada for the zune software? I dont see the point of selling Zune HDs worldwide if only the States can access it.
No word on that yet. I know, depressing, isn't it? I'm pretty frustrated with the Zune team for their completely awful Zune launch in Canada...still no Marketplace after almost a year!

But...the Zune HD will work just as well as the other Zunes do today, which is to say quite well. You don't need Marketplace to use the Zune.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 AM
flamingotrip
Pupil

Its still kind of depressing having both itunes and the zune program open to look up music, but the zune is way better.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Seeing that I'm heading to a two device model again, I wonder if it will be able to tether it to my smartphone over bluetooth. Like what I did with my Toshiba e830.

Granted I'm already in a two device model with my Zune80 and Touch Dual. But the ZHD will have a browser and apps.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii