Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Perfumes Lov
Neophyte
Default What's The Best Way To Learn............

I heard a commercial recently for "Rosetta Stone" -- a piece of foreign language software that is supposedly used by the U.S. Army.

Anyway, it got me thinking: What's the best way to learn a foreign language?

Does anyone know of any good tools for doing this?

(Also, if you could please refrain from your "move to a foreign country" responses, that would be fantastic).

Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

If you're talking about actually learning the language, Rosetta Stone is pretty much the best you can use.

On the other hand, I've been amazed at the number of useful phrases available with Spb Software's Traveler. Once you set up which countries you want to track (as far as their local time, weather reports, currencies, etc.) you can access a VERY impressive list of phrases. I've found that program indispensible; it's great for anybody who travels internationally a lot or needs to know what time to schedule a meeting so it's at 9am in Beijing.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Nikey
Banned

The most effective way is to communicate with native speakers. If you don't have such possibility, you can watch movies in foreign language with subtitles, or tv channels in target language. it helps a lot!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:38 PM
iPhone Fan
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikey View Post
The most effective way is to communicate with native speakers. If you don't have such possibility, you can watch movies in foreign language with subtitles, or tv channels in target language. it helps a lot!
Good idea. But it's easier to listen to living language than films or audios.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
maryannsms
Pupil

Learning a language can be quite easy if you just know how to do it. The best way to learn a language is actually a combination of the following techniques: listening and practicing with a native speaker, total immersion, specific language classes, researching the language.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
graeamos
Neophyte

you can try listening to audio cds that teach the language, in you car, etc it's very portable and convenient...and you learn by repetition and it works, especially if you have good memory i get mine on eBay.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 AM
BigSean
Banned

Besides the fact that I consider the Rosetta Stone program really great, I think it's a good way to start with the basics such as grammar and then try either having a conversation with a native speaker or watch DVDs with subtitles.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 AM
oposky2006
Neophyte

well, the best way to learn foreign language is to study in that country. Of course, not many people have the chance. So, listen the radio, watch movies and tv in that language, read newspaper in that language

Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 PM
YazrJeffries
Neophyte

Rosetta Stone is excellent and also conversing with native speakers. Watching movies and tv shows in the language you are learning is also good--especially if you can find a children's show.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM
leyonchung
Neophyte
Default Forign Language

Here are some tips to learn that many second language learners don't normally realize.

FIRST: Completely eliminate idioms when you speak. We use a LOT of phrases that are not understood in other countries, and they use ones we don't understand. Examples: Get to first base. Flip the switch. Hitch a ride. Hit the road.
Put yourself in the place of a new learner of English and ask yourself if you would really understand the meaning of 'hit the road' when you heard it, or would you litterally try to 'hit the road'?
Even between England and North America, for example 'knock someone up'. In North America it means get someone pregnant. In England it means knock on their door. So you can see how embarrassing it might be should you stumble on an idiom that means something else.

SECOND: Realize that it is not ALWAYS a one-for-one word exchange when translating. Some languages can express an idea in as little as one word compared to a few, and vice-versa.
Hand in hand with this, understanding that the idea being expressed is what's important, not the way it's said. Just because the sentence wasn't constructed the way we would have said it doesn't make it wrong.

THIRD: Pronunciation can be improved by reciting the names of things you see as you walk about, and holding conversations with yourself in the absence of friends to practice with. (Warning! Don't do this in the vacinity of mental institutions.)

LAST: I cheated. I learnt the worlds easiest language first and now I find I understand English better (my native tongue) and I'm in a better position to learn more languages. I've provided a link below to better explain this.

That language was ESPERANTO. It is designed such that you MUST understand sentence structure, which helps to understand other languages. It has 16 gramatical rules... with NO EXCEPTIONS!
Plus you end up with a multitude of Esperanto friends; oh the burdens we bear.

Not to understate it of course, but listen to and read as much as you possibly can, whenever you can.
Immersion, immersion, IMMERSION!
I listen to Esperanto music all day long, just to tune my ear to it.

Any second language makes learning a third easier because you acquire a feel for the differences that other languages might have. Esperanto is the logical choice as the second language because it demonstrates linguistic principles better than most, but more importantly, you can learn Esperanto in months instead of years for any other tongue.

In either case, the first points should help you master another tongue. Regardless of whether you learn Esperanto or not.