Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default T-Mobile G1 Announced. Android On the Loose. Now What?

http://www.t-mobileg1.com/

It's official. The Android-powered G1 will be hitting T-Mobile stores across the US on October 22, the UK in November, and elsewhere in Europe in early 2009. Being a Windows Mobile site, we'll spare you the fine details. Head over to the T-Mobile G1 site, and check out the videos after the break, if you're eager to learn more.

On to other matters: Android is one capable platform, and undoubtedly, one that users of Google services will love. Combined with Apple's continuing efforts to enhance the capabilities of the iPhone and Mac OS X, and the growth of heavyweights such as BlackBerry and Symbian, where does this leave Windows Mobile? Over the past year, we've perused multiple comments from readers suggesting that the platform is becoming increasingly stagnant and that efforts by HTC, Samsung, and other manufacturers to improve the usability of the platform are merely a band-aid solution.

As a result, you may have already jumped ship or are considering it. If you're in that group, just what would Microsoft have to do to Windows Mobile to win you back? If you're not in that group, what is it about Windows Mobile that's keeping you glued to the platform? The mobile war is on. And it's you, the consumer, who dictates the winners and the losers. Tell us what makes, or would make, Windows Mobile a winner for you.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 PM
efjay
Theorist

I am happy with WM (see my sig!). My question would be, what is it that these other platforms offer over WM that would be so compelling that I would switch? My personal stand is that functionality wins over form so even though WM is beat in terms of GUI, when it comes down to being functional my WM device does it all with the fewest compromises.

For example, my first smartphone was the SE P800 which I enjoyed and thought was a great device for its time. However Outlook sync was poor in that categories were not recognised, contact fields were not mapped properly and overall was not a good experience. Then I encoutered my first WM device, the MPX 200 and I started to research WM as a phone platform after initially dismissing it when it was launched with the original SPV on Orange. My first official WM device was an Orange SPV E200 WM Standard device and my email and PIM info was synced perfectly, also having PIE was a revelation (for its time) and WMP allowed me to enjoy my music on the go.

Since then I have used several other WM devices and have always been satisfied with the platform's ability to meet my requirements. I have gone from WM203SE to WM5, WM6 and now WM 6.1 and dont feel there is anything lacking functionally in my WM device. I can access the internet, now use BT exclusively for my music, get my email (hotmail and my personal domain email), use GPS (as a Brit living in the US this is an immeasurable plus point) and all with the flexibility and freedom to do as I please with my device and OS. The iphone and now Android dont offer me anything above what I am able to achieve with my current device and OS apart from looking prettier and in several cases for both platforms they offer less functionality than a WM device.

IMO a lot of the WM negativity also comes from the lack of creativity from the handset makers and software makers. HTC is now pushing TouchFLO 3D, Asus has its Glide UI, Samsung has its widgets but they all seem to be half hearted attempts to update WM's look. Also how many applications have been updated to offer a more intutive experience? Resco Explorer is one example but where are the others? HTC and Resco and others (Pointui for example) have shown that you can do pretty much anything with the WM OS but it seems the enthusiasm for this is lacking. The beauty of WM is that it is so flexible it can be customised to suit your own needs but this is not being exploited by handset and software makers.

So for now, despite all the negative press, opinions and general calls for WM do die I am content with my choice and look forward to what the next iteration will bring.

Last edited by efjay; 09-23-2008 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer

does anyone have the exact specs? CPU, RAM, ROM, battery size, etc..

Old 09-23-2008, 08:24 PM
zeke009
Ponderer

Once I see a review of how this syncs with Outlook (calendar & contacts), available Office-type apps to view docs and whether or not I can have a local app for Live Hotmail... I don't care about this device.

In other words, give me a compelling reason to dump my WM 6.0 phone and pick this up.

On the flip side, I really hope that this is a kick in the pants for Microsoft now that their nemesis has a released a smartphone.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Windows Mobile Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
IMO a lot of the WM negativity also comes from the lack of creativity from the handset makers and software makers. HTC is now pushing TouchFLO 3D, Asus has its Glide UI, Samsung has its widgets but they all seem to be half hearted attempts to update WM's look.
I don't know about Samsung or Asus, but TouchFLO 3D hardly seems "half hearted". It looks like a significant achievement. Or did you expect them to basically rewrite the entire Windows Mobile shell?

Quote:
Also how many applications have been updated to offer a more intutive experience? Resco Explorer is one example but where are the others? HTC and Resco and others (Pointui for example) have shown that you can do pretty much anything with the WM OS but it seems the enthusiasm for this is lacking. The beauty of WM is that it is so flexible it can be customised to suit your own needs but this is not being exploited by handset and software makers.
I've seen more than you mention. VITO has a done a lot, for example, and there have been several touch keyboards.

Or maybe there's not so much work being done because those of us who actually do put software on our devices don't have iPhone envy and know enough about Windows Mobile to use it without crutches.

Quote:
So for now, despite all the negative press, opinions and general calls for WM do die I am content with my choice and look forward to what the next iteration will bring.
Agreed.

Steve

P.S. As you brought it up, you're hardly the last Windows Mobile fanboy. Where's you Windows Mobile blog or Web site?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 AM
pjax
Neophyte

yes it will
i've been on WinMo for the past 4 years and I'm tired

1) QWERTY keyboard
2) active developers make everything fun
3) really intuitive shell

WinMo sorely lacks the last one. i'm tired of patching up its deficiencies with third party apps

iphone does not have 1 (and 2)

features?
3G, wifi, touch screen, music, video, BT. what more do you want?

top it off with a flexible OS. i'm sold

Old 09-24-2008, 01:34 AM
mightymission
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to mightymission

You know what? Posting what I like or don't like about WM doesn't matter a hill of beans cuz ultimatly MS has shown over the last 7 yrs they don't care what the consumer thinks. They've never even bothered to fix the basic flaws after all this time.

I'll certainly give the G1 a spin and if it works for me sooooooooo long WM !!

Like I heard someone say today Google is "new" tech and Microsoft is "old" tech.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 AM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

I thought I'd get the G1, then I saw the launch event and heard all the things it won't do that I need from my phone/PDA. Now I'm back to hoping that T-Mobile picks up the X1 and then maybe next year I'll have to decide between WM7 and the G2.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

I want to be excited about Android because nothing else is going on, but minus the cool applications a lot of it is pretty 'eh'. Though that one app that scans your iris and gives you access to your phone can only be described in one word - neat!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:59 AM
benixau
Pupil

I use a RIM Curve 8310.
It's hard to explain the difference between WM and a device that can be used with one hand.
Even when RIM introduces the Thunder/Storm/9500 the OS and software will still be designed with no touch screen in mind.
This is intuitive for me. When I'm in a rush I don't want to have to go for the stylus. Also when I'm *cough* driving *cough* it is very handy.
Until WM makes all apps compatible with on handedness through standard APIs (so developers just need to use standard APIs to get one handedness) I don't want to know about it. Palm's attempt is good but it's non-standard.

Tags
android, htc