Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 07-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default IT Pro Speculates on the Zune Phone

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/chrisg...sed-smartphone/

"Following Microsoft's partner conference in the US last week, it seems the answer is clear - you combine all these elements together and make a smartphone based on the Zune software and user interface. Sources close to the situation have confirmed that just such a device is in the works, which is great news as it would easily provide respectable competition to Apple's iPhone. All the components are in place - Windows Mobile as the underlying OS, the Zune user interface for the front-end, tweaked and extended using the team and technology at Danger (the company behind the front-end ssoftware for the Sidekick smartphone, which is based on Windows CE)."

Above: the completely fake mock-ups of a mythical Zune Phone from Zune Scene.

It seems like every couple of months there's a resurgence of Zune Phone rumours - I've never seen so much hopeful excitement over a product that doesn't exist other than the iPhone. People seem to really want to see this product come to market. This latest rumour seems to have a bit of teeth to it, coming on the heels of the Microsoft partner conference. But is there really going to be a Zune phone? I just don't know - on the one hand, Microsoft's Windows Mobile phone business is doing solid numbers, and making money for the company, so why would they want to alienate all their hardware partners by doing their own phone? On the other hand, Windows Mobile is very enterprise-focused and perhaps the Zune guys feel they could hit the ball out of the park with a consumer-focused phone. Given the inability of Windows Mobile to resonate with consumers thus far, perhaps the Zune can make some headway in this market?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:04 PM
inteller
Banned

I still want my touch pad. I also want more buttons. Contrary to popular belief, having no hard buttons is NOT a good thing.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

IF a Zune Phone ever came out...I highly doubt these "mockups" represent anything approaching reality.

That said...if its being marketing as a consumer smartphone...then the buttons are less needed these days.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Alber1690
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Alber1690

If they plan on manufacturing it themselves, they should definately identify Windows Mobile phones as more pro-enterprise while a possible iPhone-competitor as a more consumer-friendly device. Yet, seeing that Apple wants to make their iPhone more pro-enterprise, then it's kind of a struggle to really defend that argument towards Microsoft's hardware partners for Windows Mobile.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller View Post
I still want my touch pad. I also want more buttons. Contrary to popular belief, having no hard buttons is NOT a good thing.
Yeah, I agree - I like buttons! If they did a Zune phone, I'd want it to have a QWERTY keyboard...but if they do a device like this, I'm convinced they'll make it iPhone-like and have almost no buttons - because that's what they think consumers want.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Even though these are fake, I still like the red one a lot!