¹ Zunerama Analyzes Amazon Sales Ranks - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker
Default Zunerama Analyzes Amazon Sales Ranks

http://www.zunerama.com/articles_015.php#070514_zune_story

"NPD data does not include Amazon sales information. But Amazon's data seems to validate that Zune has a secure hold on 2nd place in the market, effectively knocking down hard drive-based players from Creative, Cowon, Toshiba, Archos, and iRiver - as well as older 5G and 4G models of iPods."

I have to really applaud Harvey Chute's research into all this data. There has been a lot of dispute about whether or not the NPD data is even worth anything since some vendors aren't included. The only one that really matters is the Apple stores. That is the only store that won't match up the percentages given in the NPD. I don't know how much of Apple's sales come from their stores so any market share we have is going to be skewed. But given that it will always be skewed without that data from Apple, at least we have a common point of reference.

Going back to the article on Zunerama, Harvey has tracked sales for the past month of high end DAPs. The Zune has been the second best seller after the iPod. Interestingly, the white player has overtaken the brown. I remember that at one point the brown was far above the white. Harvey feels that the Zune is mostly just eating into Apple's competitors rather than Apple itself but that assertion is harder to make since the sales rank doesn't give us any indication of that.

Overall I'd say that the news for the Zune's first generation is rather rosy!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
Overall I'd say that the news for the Zune's first generation is rather rosy!
You know, it's funny. After I got my Zune I got laughed at by pretty much everyone in my office because they all thought the Zune sucked. None of them have ever played with it before, they just figured that since it was from Microsoft and all of the Apple sites trashed it, that it must be horrible.

Needless to say, after comparing the audio quality of my Zune to a few of the other iPods floating around the office, a few of my co-workers have decided to eat their words and are actually looking at getting Zunes. Who would have actually thought that you would not be able to believe everything you read on the Internet?/