Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Andy Sjostrom
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Question: Dell has obviously purchased a defective lot of HD's from Hitachi. Hitachi supplies IBM (in fact, isn't this IBM's old HD unit?) Compaq, Dell and others. Why would you stop buying a laptop from Company X because they got a bad lot of components. For example, my car has had 2 recalls because of defective components. Because the rest of the car has performed so well and overall ratings for the car continue to be high (just as Dell continues to rate high) I'll definintely consider buying another one from the same company when it comes time to repurchase.

It would be one thing if this was a Packard Bell. Horrible reputation and all of their machines are garbage. Dell though didn't get to be #1 by building junk, no matter how good their prices are.
Answer: From a subjective and emotional point of view, I have lost all confidence in Dell laptops. If your car's engine broke down once and that almost killed you, they replaced the engine and it broke down again -- what would your feelings be towards that car maker?

From an objective point of view, you might be right. Maybe all hard drives come from the same maker. Maybe there's no difference what so ever between a hard drive in a Dell laptop and another hard drive in a laptop from Compaq.

However, could the error might be in the hardware between mother board and hard drive, in the mother board or somewhere else in the Dell laptop? Could it be so that Hitachi makes different 30 GB hard drives with different QA levels at different prices and it so happens that Dell chooses the cheaper product? Could it be.. could it be... could it be...

Really, I believe it boils down to subjective, intangible stuff. I got burned and I would strangely enough react quite differently if my new Compaq would break (the first time) than if my Dell replacement would break (the third time).