Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-09-2002, 09:59 PM
jdhill
Intellectual

I'm going to have to agree with the "ugly" statement. The buttons on the bottom appear to be way too small for the overall size of the device. How about a nice decent sized d-pad like the one on the old Casio E-1xx series? And what's up with the application buttons? They're dinky too.

And a more general comment: Some of you will remember a few years back when the Casio E-100 and E-105 were the top selling Windows CE PDAs. Casio got complacent and when Pocket PC 2000 came out, they just did a minor update and released the E-115 and E-125. Then came the lackluster E-200 (I can say that, I own one). Now Casio is apparently getting out of the Pocket PC business in the US.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

HP appears to be sticking with the same basic design that they have been using for the 3100, 3600, 3700, 3800 and 3900 devices. While those of you with a large investment in sleeves are pleased that HP continues to support them with new devices, you also need to realize that this hinders innovation. The HP 3xxx series is beginning to show its age. We have seen where a lack of innovation has hurt Palm. It may be time for HP to "break the mould" and do some serious new thinking. Otherwise, in a couple of years they too may find themselves withdrawing from the PDA business in the US if somebody else passes them by.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Jody Low
Neophyte
Default Yea but

Hate the NAV button too, but consider the small size when you place it up against your face. I would rather have the small size than a bunch of unintentional button pressing going on.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

All I have to say is ick. I hope this is a really early prototype...cause...ick. And if the headphone jack is on the bottom, what is with that?

The only good thing is it fitting the old sleeve formfactor, but that isn't going to be a selling point for me.

Old 09-09-2002, 11:15 PM
strong887
Neophyte

To reiterate, i can attest to the fact that the pcs are real. The 5450 i played with today said HP on it. Also, the antenna was a small nub. The battery was removeable but the form factor appeared identical to all the other ipaqs . I didn't get any pictures unfortunately.... The guy from IP Blue did say that he received it 2 days ago for testing with his h323 app over 802.11b.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:29 AM
adamz
Thinker

I don't see any Pocket PC Phone Edition icons in the title bar there. If there's a version with GSM/GPRS, that would be beautiful! No more blinking bluetooth light either!
Glad to see it will still support the expansion sleeves too!

Old 09-10-2002, 03:35 AM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

Hmmmm.....what about the charging light led? I don't see it.

Also, where is the bluetooth light led (or 802.11b). Ed will be disappointed if the smoothing and relaxing blinking of the blue light is no longer there.

Old 09-10-2002, 03:58 AM
wangsanegara
Pupil

The antenna reminds me of an older Ericsson phone, but I forgot which model. I'd say this is a fake model....

A.W

Old 09-10-2002, 04:10 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Oh, I love the light. I would hate to see it go away. :roll:

Old 09-10-2002, 04:50 AM
Will T Smith
Thinker
Default Re: iPAQ 5000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
So, what do you think?
I think Compaq/HP is doing the same thing Palm did years ago: miscalculating what made them successful, not realizing they just happened to fall into success, and thereby not letting go of the past and moving on to a product the current market wants and needs.
AMEN !!!!

Sometimes success stories are merely an example of being in the right place at the right time. IPaq is coasting on it's initial momentum.

Regarding the photos, I find the detail of a Compaq shell with an HP ROM screen telling. The 38/39 thumbpads are hard to use due to there extreme elliptical shape. Too much thumb travel. It makes sense to tweak it.

Of course it could ALL be doctored. If so, H-Paq is shooting itself. The iPaq form-factor is simply too big. They're going to get stomped by the sleek svelty competition like Toshiba 310 and ASUS MyPal and the T-Mobile PocketPC Phone.

Old 09-10-2002, 06:43 AM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P
Default Re: iPAQ 5000?

Quote:
I think Compaq/HP is doing the same thing Palm did years ago: miscalculating what made them successful, not realizing they just happened to fall into success, and thereby not letting go of the past and moving on to a product the current market wants and needs.
By that you mean not increasing capacity, not improving performance, not adding more memory, and not providing more options? Stagnating existence of Palm and progression of HP/Compaq do not equate. The only exciting and changing aspect with respect to Palm is Sony.

Quote:
Sometimes success stories are merely an example of being in the right place at the right time. IPaq is coasting on it's initial momentum. The iPaq form-factor is simply too big. They're going to get stomped by the sleek svelty competition like Toshiba 310 and ASUS MyPal and the T-Mobile PocketPC Phone.
Based on the discontent with the 3800s, that momentum should have died out with the release of the 3900s. From reading this and other forums, the 3900s series is considered to be the best PocketPC from HP/Compaq. This was not a consensus from CNET, which I don't really trust, but from 'real' users here. Toshiba 310 is smaller, yes, but for $300 it is really a low end PocketPC. Perhaps we will see a similar counterpart from HP/Compaq. For users who want more, they will continue to buy higher end PocketPCs.