Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default iPAQ 5000?

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59774

Brighthand has a thread going on that has some pics of what could be the iPAQ 5000 series. Rumors have been around for months. The hardware still shows Compaq but the ROM clearly shows HP as the manufacturer.

Rumored specs:
� X-Scale @ 800MHz (doubtful)
� 64 MB RAM
� 48 MB ROM
� Bluetooth
� WiFi optional
� GSM phone
� Optional biometrics

So, what do you think? Real? Doctored pics? Old test mule?

Old 09-09-2002, 07:04 PM
/dev/niall
Ponderer

Must... not... buy... another... PDA... without... integrated... CF...

Ack! It's so hard some days. Nice to see they're keeping the form factor a little longer.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/niall
Nice to see they're keeping the form factor a little longer.
Looks like they are using the old iPaq form factor. This isn't based on the 38xx/39xx design.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Looks like they are using the old iPaq form factor. This isn't based on the 38xx/39xx design.
:?: It isn't the 3600/3700 either.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Ainvar
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Ainvar Send a message via AIM to Ainvar Send a message via MSN to Ainvar Send a message via Yahoo to Ainvar

It is like that for me, I love the iPAQ. I have bought and returned the e740, and e550g from Toshiba. They just did not have what I was accustomed to or did not have what I was looking for after using it for a period of time. I own the 3835 series and can not really complain about it after the ROM 1.20 upgrade. I guess my next step with be the 3970 or newer if they will lower the price some. I refuse to pay more that 599.00 USD for something that does not have more than what I really have now.
I used a 3955 handson and I love it but not enough to buy it when my device still has that unf to it.

We the un willing led by the unqualified for so long with so little we now attempt the impossible with nothing

Old 09-09-2002, 07:15 PM
strong887
Neophyte
Default HP Ipaq 5450

I am currently at a Cisco IP Telephony conference in Penn Plaza, NYC and one of the presenters had a HP Ipaq 5450 Pocket PC. It is using the same screen as my 3975 (compared them side by side). Notable is the built in 802.11b with a VERY small antenna (smaller than the one in the picture). It has a removeable battery and the earphone jack is on the bottom of the casing. Supposedly, this model supports a headset connection (speaker and mic) in that plug. A h.323 softphone application was being demoed on it by a company called IP Blue. I verified the asset information as an HP5450.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:22 PM
don dre
Intellectual
Default CF Card

While I really want a PDA with built-in CF, I am inclined to lean towards ipaq's. They just seem to have the most solid feel, the largest screen (not to mention now the best screen), and of course, I already own a CF Expansion Pack Plus. With built in Wifi, BT, and GSM it hardly seems necessary to always have the expansion pack on. In fact, I only use my expansion pack for certain occasions as is and mostly in my apt to use the WiFi adaptor. If they can pack all of that in, it significantly reduces the need for cf cards. Of course, I can't even afford the 3970.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
:?: It isn't the 3600/3700 either.
Yes it is. The buttons have been redesigned, but the basic form is still the same.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:35 PM
entropy1980
Oracle
Default Re: HP Ipaq 5450

Quote:
Originally Posted by strong887
I am currently at a Cisco IP Telephony conference in Penn Plaza, NYC and one of the presenters had a HP Ipaq 5450 Pocket PC. It is using the same screen as my 3975 (compared them side by side). Notable is the built in 802.11b with a VERY small antenna (smaller than the one in the picture). It has a removeable battery and the earphone jack is on the bottom of the casing. Supposedly, this model supports a headset connection (speaker and mic) in that plug. A h.323 softphone application was being demoed on it by a company called IP Blue. I verified the asset information as an HP5450.
Ok what's the form factor look like? :?:

Old 09-09-2002, 07:38 PM
entropy1980
Oracle
Default Re: iPAQ 5000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Rumored specs:
� S-Scale @ 800MHz (doubtful)
� 64 MB RAM
� 48 MB ROM
� Bluetooth
� WiFi optional
� GSM phone
� Optional biometrics

So, what do you think? Real? Doctored pics? Old test mule?
So what's an S-Scale? :lol: You mean Snail-Scale? :lol: