Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Buy & Sell

Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Originals Free No More

http://zuneoriginals.net/

"It couldn’t last forever. Now those free, laser-etched designs of the Zune Originals series will cost ya. Microsoft quietly made the switch sometime over the last few weeks (if not the weekend) according to forum jockeys riding the Zuneboards. The Tattoo Series is now $10 or $15 for the Artist Series. Custom engravings are still free. Of course, there’s no better way to keep those Zunes original than to charge cold, cash money for off-the-shelf designs."

I agree that it's a little whack to charge $10-$15 for a mass-produced etching, but I can also imagine that it costs a good deal of money to run an operation like this. Oddly, while they've decided to charge for these "off-the-shelf" designs that are standard throughout the line, text inscription, the one truly unique customization, is still free. Go figure. I guess they couldn't justify "free for a limited time only" without actually limiting the time for which it was free.

Update: Fixed atrocious grammar and re-formatted title.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:42 PM
asif2020
Pupil
Default Originals Not Free Any More - Bloody hell!

This kinda sucks for us Canadians as we wont have the chance to purchase Zunes from Zune Originals and get the laser-etched designs for free this Spring. I was thinking the free etching offer would last at least until Zune has been in Canada for a month or two. Nevertheless, I'm getting mine from Zune Originals (that is if Zune Originals is available to Canadians). Cheerio!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:54 PM
USArcher
Ponderer

This is necessary if they are going to go thru with a price cut in the next month or so. I'm not saying they will but considering their recent sales slump..I imagine they need to do something.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USArcher View Post
...considering their recent sales slump..I imagine they need to do something.

Source?

The only sales numbers I've heard have been pretty sketchy and relate to sales of the 30.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
USArcher
Ponderer

Source? I've monitored the rankings on Amazon, Best Buy and Circuit City. The Zune 80 has consistently done well but the Zune 4/8 are hurting. Early Feb. Microsoft quietly dropped the Zune 8 price down to $179 but I'm not sure it helped. I wish I had better numbers to draw on but I think what we have access to is good enough to make some generalizations. Don't get me wrong, I want Zune to do very well.