¹ (Even More) News on Games - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 03-05-2008, 04:00 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default (Even More) News on Games

http://forums.xna.com/thread/47451.aspx

Alright, you're probably getting sick of the games talk by now, but I just had to throw this in there. I've been reading the XNA forums for Zune game news, and have picked up some interesting tidbits. For starters:
  • Games can't connect to the internet (so no profiles, no RSS feeds or web browsers)
  • The firmware update will be coming when XNA Game Studio 3.0 comes out (beta in Spring, final by Winter '08). It remains to be seen whether we'll have full on-device support with the beta, or whether it'll just be an emulator by then. Says XNA Program Manager Michael Klucher: "XNA Game Studio will take care of doing what you need to set up the Zune for games."
  • Further, "The only way that you will be able to play the games on the Zune is by deploying them through XNA Game Studio."
  • And "Games cannot run at the same time as Wireless sync." I guess no Multiplayer for now... This was in response to a question about ad-hoc communication with several linked Zunes.
  • No TV-Out for games, performance variations between Zune models is negligible (save for Zune Pad, 30's can do everything their newer cousins can)
  • Unlike Xbox, a Creator's Club membership ($99) is not required to develop games for Zune
  • Games can't be sent over wifi, probably for the same reason firmware updates can't.
If you have any questions, check out the XNA Forums, and ask one of the friendly devs there. Happy gaming!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:34 PM
USArcher
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Krebs View Post
  • Further, "The only way that you will be able to play the games on the Zune is by deploying them through XNA Game Studio."
Yes, ZuneInsider (Cesar M.) has said that Games are a long ways from reaching joe consumer. My guess is that Zune MarketPlace will not have downloadable game content until sometime next year.

Quote:
  • And "Games cannot run at the same time as Wireless sync." I guess no Multiplayer for now... This was in response to a question about ad-hoc communication with several linked Zunes.
I believe you are misinterpretting this. From what I understand, you will be able to play games with other Zune users if the game is designed for it. But Zune's Wireless Sync of Music/Content will be disabled while you play a game. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
  • No TV-Out for games, performance variations between Zune models is negligible (save for Zune Pad, 30's can do everything their newer cousins can)
Yeah, I hope Microsoft will reconsider this at some point. Noone is looking at this to replace their game consoles. I might let this skirt by if XBox can access & play Zune based games while the Zune is plugged into XBox (USB).

Old 03-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USArcher View Post
I believe you are misinterpretting this. From what I understand, you will be able to play games with other Zune users if the game is designed for it. But Zune's Wireless Sync of Music/Content will be disabled while you play a game. Makes sense to me.
Yeah, you're probably right. I wonder if some people will find workarounds to the 3-play rule by calling the files they want to send game content. Each game will be able to store local settings through XML, though I imagine connectivity with the host hardware and media will be greatly limited.

Quote:
Yeah, I hope Microsoft will reconsider this at some point. Noone is looking at this to replace their game consoles. I might let this skirt by if XBox can access & play Zune based games while the Zune is plugged into XBox (USB).
I'd really like to see Zune as an accessory for Xbox. The same way Nintendo and Sony are doing now, I'd like to see Microsoft tie their ecosystems together, and allow me to move my media between devices seamlessly. If they could find some way to make all the products I bought from them work as advertised and talk to each other in a more integrated way, I'd be much happier than I am now.