¹ Zune Desktop Software Dysfunctions: Video Sorting Options - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune Desktop Software Dysfunctions: Video Sorting Options

I just reinstalled the Zune desktop software a couple of days ago (after my install of Windows Vista went belly-up forcing a complete re-format and re-install) and after it scanned my music, videos, and pictures, I was reminded of the truly useless way the Zune software organizes my videos. There are only two sorting options: by Name, or by Date Added. Over a period of months, Date Added starts to actually work (just a little bit), but when you first install the software every single video, regardless of how old it is, it stamped with the same date - which effectively gives you no sorting option at all. Why did the Zune team think this would be useful to the user?

Figure 1: The above videos were created more than three years ago, yet are at the top of my video list as the first videos shown.

What would make much more sense would be to list the files by the created date - because that's the real date of the video, similar to a photo. Sure, it's not entirely perfect because if you digitize a video today of your family holiday from ten years ago, it will be stamped with today's date, but at least the date is relevant to the file: the date you digitized it (and the Created Date can be manipulated via software if you want to really get accurate). The date that the Zune software scanned it has no practical use that I can think of - because even if we're talking about TV shows & movies recorded via Windows Media Center, the file creation date will be the date it was recorded, so those will show up as being newer than most of your other videos.

I'd also like to see a folder-based approach for organizing videos, rather than having a single flat-file approach. Thinking about how your organize and access your videos, how would you like to see the Zune desktop software improved?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:21 AM
timc166293
Neophyte

I could not agree more. The Zune team was a sleep at the wheel. Do they really use the product?

I miss Zune1 desktop

It is worse with dvr-ms files. I used to sort on show descriptions so I would not sync reruns. Not anymore. Date and title only too!!! Only to hope the title has some remnants of the show description when syncing.

To keep ranting... Some tv shows show up in one folder on the Zune player. Cool!!! Other shows individually, not cool. Go figure.

take care

Old 01-29-2008, 05:08 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I understand the difficulty here actually. If they go off of time stamp of the file then its quite possible files you just added to the library won't show up there which is what the function is really for. Only in the case of new installs will you have a big disconnect on file age & addition to the library.

I actually think it should remain the way it is...otherwise it could be much worse later.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 AM
williamc
Pupil

I totally agree. Basically, we need more sorting options, and features to more easily edit metadata.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
If they go off of time stamp of the file then its quite possible files you just added to the library won't show up there which is what the function is really for.
But other software such as Picasa, and even Windows Media Center, have this figured out - it's not rocket science. You combine a folder level view with a file date view, and you have the best way of viewing your video content. The current method is just broken because I'll NEVER get to see my oldest videos at the beginning or end of the sort...I'll see them all in a clump with the date I installed the Zune software.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
But other software such as Picasa, and even Windows Media Center, have this figured out - it's not rocket science. You combine a folder level view with a file date view, and you have the best way of viewing your video content. The current method is just broken because I'll NEVER get to see my oldest videos at the beginning or end of the sort...I'll see them all in a clump with the date I installed the Zune software.
Over the next 204 days, load your videos one at a time, oldest first. Then, on day 205 (August 22), all of your videos will conveniently be sortable by date!

Oh, but don't reinstall the Zune software, or you will have to start over.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
Over the next 204 days, load your videos one at a time, oldest first. Then, on day 205 (August 22), all of your videos will conveniently be sortable by date!
<snicker> Wow, why didn't I think of that?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Ron Hostetter
Thoughts Media Review Team

I agree that the Zune software SUCKS when it comes to working with videos.

I've spent a great deal of time over the last two months ripping some of my favorite TV shows and getting them "just so" for my Zune 80.

I hate having to use something like DSharpie to update the meta data to get them to appear the way I want on my device. (for example, TV Shows | The Office - Season 1 | 01 - Pilot).

Why can't the desktop software also sort and categorize like this? I have 7 seasons of Seinfeld episodes, but they are all just scattered in the software. I have no way of knowing which episodes are from which season, etc. It's a mess!

Also, when you sync several videos at once to the device, there is no rhyme or reason to the sort order on the device. Annoying!

At the very least - give us a "list" view of videos and let us sort by a few of the columns.