¹ Where's My Zune Original? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker
Default Where's My Zune Original?

So where are my Zune 80 pictures you might be wondering? On Monday, I received my very awesome Zune from Zune Originals and I wanted to get pictures up for everyone to see. I will say that the Zune 80 is definitely an outstanding update to my Zune 30. I loved the Zune 30 and think the brown and green double shot was a very unique and attractive offering.

The Zune 80, however, in my mind, blows it away in terms of design. The slimness is certainly one factor, but I never was a fan of metal border that went around the screen and d-pad on the Zune 30. The face of the Zune 80 is much more elegant.

So with all of these great things to say, where are the pictures? Well, I haven’t exactly had a smooth ride with the 80 so far this week. First my primary PC couldn’t install the Zune USB driver correctly. It seems that this is a known, and as yet unresolved, issue. In, what was in retrospect, a really dumb move, I attempted to fix the problem on my own. It seems that I managed to uninstall the USB controller from Windows Vista. And being that the computer is relatively new, it has no legacy PS/2 ports. This means I am completely unable to use it for anything.

So now I’m back on my Windows XP machine and instead of photographing my Zune, I’ve been busy getting my music library updated. I tried copying all my music from my Zune 30 to this computer and while it will all play on the computer it won’t play on my Zune 80. So I am redownloading my music, one artist at a time, to fix the licenses. Its about as much fun as it sounds. On the bright side…I still absolutely love playing with the new touch pad.

And while the initial USB issue is definitely a serious problem, I only blame myself for my bricked PC. Doh!

Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 PM
bleeman
Intellectual

David,

I'm not sure if this would work or not, but if you had Remote Desktop enabled on your Vista system you might be able to remote into it and get your USB controller reinstalled that way.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:28 AM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Thanks for the suggestion. The guys at work already threw that out there and unfortunately its not something I ever set up. (It was suggested perhaps I should turn in my developer badge )

My 2 options that I can think of are:

1) Do a 'repair' of Vista which would involve me having to reinstallall my software

2) Find an IDE PS/2 add-on (yeah right)

I'll come up with something I'm sure. On the bright side this has forcedme to update my music library one album at a time (not as bad as it sounds) so my album art is all getting updated

Old 12-15-2007, 02:23 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Why not move the HDD to a motherboard or computer that does have a PS/2 port? WGA might throw a hissy fit, but it should work... (it generally works with non-OEM XP installs)

But hey, this shouldn't be too big of an issue...you do back-up regularly, right? Sorry...

That truly does suck. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:45 PM
David Tucker

yeah I'm going to drop it in my other pc and do it that way I think

Old 12-17-2007, 03:08 AM
teamgood
Neophyte

you could do a repair reinstallation of windows if you have a back up disk.

I hope I don't have the USB issue when my Zune 80 arrives on Christmas.