¹ Did Microsoft Underestimate the Demand for the v2 Zune? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Did Microsoft Underestimate the Demand for the v2 Zune?

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35242/113/

"Who would have thought that? Market research firm iSuppli today said that Microsoft in fact is not meeting market demand for its Zune portable media player. However, the reason may not be just a jump in demand for certain models, but an overly cautious market strategy of Microsoft as well, the market research firm speculated. Reports about out-of-stock Zunes have surfaced from time to time over the past weeks, and some even suggested that Zune may be outselling at least some of Apple’s iPods. iSuppli added its insight in the current PMP market today, stating that the Zune sales spike was largely limited to the “deeply discounted Zune 30 model”. Short supply of the newer Zune 80 however may much more due to the fact that Microsoft may have “erred on the side of caution when placing initial orders for the new Zunes, which include the Hard-Disk-Drive (HDD) based Zune 80 as well as the flash- memory-based Zune 4 and 8,” iSuppli analyst Chris Crotty suggested."

This article won't come as a surprise to anyone who has tried to fund a Zune 80, though I hear it's getting easier than it was a couple of weeks ago. Since I'm not seeing Zunes at retail in Canada, what about our US-based readers? Are you seeing Zunes in stock at retail, both the Zune 4/8 and Zune 80, or are you seeing depleted stock?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:53 PM
ACE
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to ACE

Use this to find Zunes in Stock on the net: http://www.nowinstock.net/zune/

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM
garciaP
Neophyte
Default Finally found mine

After researching for weeks, going back and forth between the Creative Zen 16 and the Zune, I decided on the latter. And couldn't find it! I went to every type of electronics store within a 50 mile radius and it was a no go. Then on a whim, I called the closest Target, which I had tried a couple times already. They had four... yeah, right. However I jumped in the truck and headed out there, sans shower, hat jammed on my matted head. And they did. And I did. And I love it. Just got the Altec Lansing M604 and hooked it up... wowsers, great sound!

Now all I want for Christmas is the ability to bookmark...please, Santa?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 PM
jaxim
Ponderer

I've seen them in person at Target and Circuit City.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Here in Portland it is close to impossible to find a Zune 80. I have been looking for weeks and just do not feel like ordering it online as I want to play with it in person first

Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 PM
djdj
Intellectual

It took me a while to find it, but I got my Zune 80 on its release date at Walmart. Since then I haven't seen any anywhere.

@Rocco Augusto:
Just go ahead and order it online. It's a great player and you're gonna love it!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:12 AM
bleeman
Intellectual

Here in the Dallas/Forth Worth area I've been in a few Best Buys, Targets, etc. and they've had the Zune 4's, some Zune 30's, but the 8's are few and far between. I've yet to see an 80.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:19 AM
FiredCylinder
Pupil

At the Target I work for, we haven't yet run out of the 4/8s, but we just last week got a good shipment of 80s. I think we still have about 9 in stock.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:35 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

There are plenty of the flash players in stock at Best Buy and Circuit City. CC had some Zune 80's while Best Buy had none but according to a friend they only received 10 of the 80's. To be honest I expected the v2 Flash players to sell better than they have.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Are you seeing Zunes in stock at retail, both the Zune 4/8 and Zune 80, or are you seeing depleted stock?
You can still buy stuff like that retail? I thought it was just groceries.