¹ Tips Day 1: Change Your Theme (Software) - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Tips Day 1: Change Your Theme (Software)

http://www.zuneboards.com/content/view/187/1/

Editor's Note: Today is the first in a series of tips on getting the most out of your Zune device, pass, software, and card. Check out the forums for more tips, or to submit your own.

I'm sure everyone knows by now that you can set your favorite picture to be the background on your Zune. Did you also know that you can change the "theme" of the Zune software? It's true! Just go to Settings in the software. Hit "Display", and then one of the radio buttons to watch background change before your eyes. Just remember, "you are boring if you use slate." --Stefan.

Okay, okay. You've seen this before, or the backgrounds are ugly, or maybe you just want to truly "make it you", I get it. Thankfully the boys at ZuneBoards have seen fit to give you the option of choosing any background you want. That's right, Mr. Hotshot, you can rock out to the Halo3 soundtrack with a Master Chief background, sing along with Cher, or, you know, just leave it at the default. It's your call.

Follow the instructions to pull off the Zune background of your dreams. I can only hope/imagine that due to the new software's code, we'll be seeing more cool hacks like this in the future.

Stay tuned for another installment of Zune Tips tomorrow. Got a super tip you're just dying to share with the world? Hit the comments link or discuss in the Forums.

EDIT: Bill has pointed out to me that, as with practically all other hacks, you need to run this file as an administrator on Vista. To do this, navigate to %ProgramFiles%/Zune (typically C:\Program Files\Zune), right-click your hack of choice, and select "run as administrator." If not, you'll likely see an "access denied" message.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 AM
bleeman
Intellectual

Thanks for the post and link Adam. This is great! I've already modified my software so that I could personalize my background.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Glad to assist! I'm hoping to run a few of these tips over the next few days. Let me know of any tips you have for the Zune Thoughts community.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM
bleeman
Intellectual

I don't have anything exciting off the top of my head other than one I discovered while using this tip.

If you're running Vista make sure that once you've copied the file into the C:\Program Files\Zune directory that you right-mouse-click on it and select "Run as administrator", otherwise you'll probably get an "Access is denied" error.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Lovesound
Neophyte

That hack is soo awesome! I immediatley started drawing a new background for the player. I love the pink and orange colors so I went with it and I really like my custom background. If you wanna use it here it is.

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/7282/zune2bw9.jpg

Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:48 AM
j1supernova
Neophyte

i followed that link and downloaded the hack and ran it, but all it did was stop my software from even running. is there a reason why? i really want to put a different background on my zune software, it would be so cool...

Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1supernova View Post
i followed that link and downloaded the hack and ran it, but all it did was stop my software from even running. is there a reason why? i really want to put a different background on my zune software, it would be so cool...
Just tried it myself and the Zune software wouldn't run afterwords. The last post was over a year ago here. Possibly it applied to an earlier version of the software. You did figure out how to get your Zune software back right? It create a fairly obviously named backup of the .dll it changed. You just delete the new .dll and rename the old one.

P.S. Well, just went back and it indicates it was updated for V3. Mine is 3.1.620.0, so I would suppose it should work, but it doesn't here either.

P.P.S. Well, hunting around a bit I found this
Zune Software Customizer 3.1.0 | MJefferson.net

The one there works for me.

Last edited by Sven Johannsen; 01-05-2009 at 12:11 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
lheard
Neophyte

Andy, will this capability be available to XP users in the future?