¹ New Zunes Cometh My Way....Today? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default New Zunes Cometh My Way....Today?

Being a Zune MVP is paying dividends this week: I've been told that I'm getting sent a new Flash-based Zune (not sure if it's a Zune 4 or a Zune 8) and a Zune 80 as well. These are review units, with the review embargo being lifted on November 13th. That means I won't be able to post pictures or comments about the new Zunes until the 13th - but it also means that I have a decent amount of time to spend with the new units, unlike my incomplete rush-review last year. So here's your opportunity Zune Thoughts readers: what would you like me to check for you with the new Zunes? What would you like me to test?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

I know this is kind of a "well-duh-of-course-i'll-review-that-feature" request, but I'm really excited about being able to natively transcode recorded TV shows as well as how well the new Podcast features hold up.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
priesmeyer
Ponderer

Rocco just stole my thunder. I guess I'm most excited about the things that were missing in the previous model.
  • Copying Media Center shows over and how they look/play
  • How easy the process is and how fast
  • How does the wireless sync perform
I'm just so excited Jason -- and a bit jealous. But Tuesday's getting closer and closer.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
jeff119
Pupil

can you see how well built the new software is? it can't be much worse then the wmp11 based software, but how easy is it to navigate through the software sync all your music, etc. with the current software most of the rime i have problems syncing or recognizing that a zune is connected.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 PM
priesmeyer
Ponderer

Another thing - how does the device feel in your hand compared to the old one?

I think the Zune 1 was a great piece of hardware. I loved it and am glad that after selling me (and regretting it) I was able to get a brown one for my daughter for $80 a few weeks ago.

Everyone (and I mean iPod owners and others who have no horse in the race) is quick to say "Wow, it's so big!". I think that's a bogus argument. I used to have a large 'boombox' with dual cassettes and an 8-track player it in. And I carried that thing with me around a lot! And it couldn't even play movies! But seriously, what difference to a few millimeters make towards your enjoyment and usability of your device?

So, I'd like to know what you think about the feel of the device and the user experience.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:15 PM
perrinjcat
Neophyte

Take the various new file formats for a spin to ensure they don't have problems playing. I wish you were getting the new firmware to see how they played on the old Zune as well. Maybe you can send a politely-worded email their way?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 PM
rck
Pupil
Default Media Center Video

I also will second or third the comments about the new feature transcoding and syncing Media Center TV shows to the Zune within the Zune software. Specifically, I am interested in:
  • Does it handle both analog and HD dvr-ms files equally well?
  • How long does it take to convert and then sync a 1 hour TV show? How much longer does it take for HD dvr-ms files?
  • How much does to reduce the size of the file for the Zune?
  • Does it sync all Media Center TV shows or is there a way to filter what to sync?
  • Also, does it cache the converted file for other Zunes or does it have convert each file each time for each Zune?
(The last two questions may seen a little odd, but my wife and I each have a Zune. Our TV show tastes contain some in common and some that are unique.)

Have fun!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Roan
Neophyte

I'd like to ask you a few things to check regarding the new Zunes:

- Playlists. On the old Zune when you synced a playlist it re-synced all of the songs in said playlist, even if they were already on the device. I'm really hoping this is fixed.

- Video quality. I'd convert videos in very high resolution/quality and no matter what the videos always came out very pixelated, especially in black areas.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrinjcat View Post
I wish you were getting the new firmware to see how they played on the old Zune as well. Maybe you can send a politely-worded email their way?
The problem is distribution: if I was in Seattle I'm sure they could Flash my Zune with the new firmware, but I doubt they've built a stand-alone installer. The 13th will come soon enough, and I'll have my hands full with the two new units. ;-) Adam and David will be covering the firmware update on the old Zunes.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rck View Post
Specifically, I am interested in...Does it handle both analog and HD dvr-ms files equally well?
Unfortunately I have no ability to capture HD DVR-MS files on my media center. There's no OTA HD in my area, and I don't have a HD TV Tuner...so that one will have to be answered by someone else. I'll do my best with your other questions though!