¹ Gear Diary Reviews Belkin TuneBase - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Accessories

Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker
Default Gear Diary Reviews Belkin TuneBase

http://www.geardiary.com/2007/07/27/the-belkin-tunebase-fm-transmitter-for-zune-review/#more-3514

Judie over at Gear Diary just reviewed the Belkin TuneBase. I’m really glad she did, too, because I’ve been thinking of buying it. I’m not thinking of buying it anymore after reading her review. You can read the whole thing here, but the essence of the review can be summed up with the final paragraph.

“I wanted the Belkin TuneBase to work so badly because it is exactly what I wanted and needed, but I have to say that I was disappointed. I am confident that the stations I set were as empty and ready to be used as was possible, but the TuneBase just didn’t seem able to transmit with a strong enough signal to overcome any kind of interference, and therefore I found it too finicky for regular use.”

It sounds like a glorified charger, unfortunately.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Dyvim
Sage

I had the iPod version of this and had the same issues. It basically was just too awful to use. Since then I upgraded cars and got a stereo with an auxiliary audio in jack, thus eliminating my need for an FM-based solution.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 AM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Yeah that's the far superior solution. I honestly can't think of a reason I'd rather have an FM transmittor over a line-in.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 AM
tbird
Ponderer

Have to agree.
Could not wait to get this and when I did I was very disappointed.
It looked great in my car, but honestly I could not get it to sound good at all.
And belive me I tried.
Took it back the same day I bought it.
Have since gone to the old standby, the cassette adapter and am not really happy with that option either.
I guess my only option, is to either upgrade my sound system in the car or live with the adapter. Or I guess just use the head phones which I really dont want to do ....

Last edited by tbird; 08-01-2007 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
Or I guess just use the head phones which I really dont want to do ....
It's also illegal to drive with headphones on in many jurisdictions (just FYI).

Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
ale_ers
Theorist

I have this product and completly agree. When I bought it I didn't plan on using the FM modulator because my car has an Aux port (as a matter of fact I have never even tried the FM on it), but I did plan on using the line in at the bottom.

I got a great price on this and I wanted it as a mount/charger and line in so I could just drop my zune in and play. Well the line-in is even horrible making me think that the problem might be with the connection, not the FM modulator.

I still use it though because it makes a great mount/charger in my car. I just have to plug my aux port into the headphone jack instead of the line out on the Belkin. So it adds a step that I was hoping to avoid. It works for what I need, but I would never reccomend it to others.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Damion Chaplin

That's very telling, isn't it? I was considering getting one of these until I read the review and the experiences of our readers here.

Bullet: Dodged!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:16 AM
tbird
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
It's also illegal to drive with headphones on in many jurisdictions (just FYI).
Got it, thats why I really dont want to use that option.
Sure wish this device would have worked out though.....
Looks cool, but sorry to say looks arent everything.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Paladin27
Ponderer

So for those of you with line inputs on your radios... have you found any device that lets you have both charge and audio over the dock connector in your car? I really hate having two cables going to my audio player.