¹ Microsoft Doesn't Want Apps for the Zune HD? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 03-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft Doesn't Want Apps for the Zune HD?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5541

"The current version of the XNA Game Studio suite (3.1) allows developers to build games that can run on Windows PCs, Xbox 360 and Zune media player devices. Version 4.0 is going to support Windows PCs, Xbox 360 consoles and Windows Phone 7 Series phones (but not the Zune HD), according to a blog post by Michael Klucher, Lead Program Manger for the XNA Development Platform."

OK, this is a bit of a head-scratcher for me. What I thought was going to happen was that when the Windows phone 7 ecosystem kicked off at the end of this year, we'd see a Windows Marketplace for Mobile that would address both the Windows phone 7 users and the Zune HD users. In fact, the millions of Zune HDs out there would serve as a good base for developers to code for. Instead, it's looking like XNA Game Studio Suite 4.0 isn't going to allow the Zune HD as a target platform...so now I'm completely confused. Microsoft doesn't want apps for the Zune HD? Or their plan is to continue the painfully slow process of building their app catalog one app at a time, all developed internally?

Or is it that second-generation Zune HD (presumably coming out in the fall of this year) will have a bigger screen running at WVGA resolution (800 x 480) and essentially be a Windows phone 7 without the phone components? And that's what Microsoft wants developers to code for - but not the Zune HD. If so, that sort of sucks - that leaves all the current Zune HD owners out in the cold in terms of apps. Is that really Microsoft's plan? What do you think?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 PM
albucian
Pupil

I think the zune HD is a bastard child, just a nice demo for WP7S.
Why would microsoft bother supporting an app market on such a different (and not so successful) hardware when they can start from scratch with the WP7S platform?
I'm a zune 80 user and fortunately I don't even have a Facebook app to mess around with...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Alber1690
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Alber1690

As a Zune HD owner, it saddened me to think that they want to carry out such plans. When the Zune HD came out, it was people like us who made it a hot item on Amazon and gave it the attention it deserves. Now, it's like we were just buying an interim product with no real future... *sigh* How is it that the Zune 30 had a longer lifespan (all those firmware upgrades) and they're already killing ours...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 PM
albucian
Pupil

Quote:
and they're already killing ours.
I do think they will continue to support the device with various firmware updates and perhaps some more apps and games from time to time...

Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 PM
NSILMike
Pupil

...a bit of a head scratcher...? More like a huge head scratcher. I keep looking for a silver lining. I can't find one (yet?)

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
The Yaz
Thinker

Maybe the Zune HD WAS the testbed for WP7?!?

Still, I can't seem to understand why they couldn't open it up for programmers to legitimately create and sell apps for it. I know the screen resolution is not WVGA but is it really that much work to give the programmer the option to offer his/her program to the Zune HD owners as well as WP7. I mean, if they choose to invest the time to tweek it to run on it, good for them...

(Now that Twitter & Facebook are finally out, I'm waiting for an e-book reader to capture all of my entertainment on the HD)

My real concern has always been Microsoft's view as to what is "disposable". If they thought the Zune HD was to bridge the gap to the WP7 devices or Zune HD V2, that's fine if they had priced the Zune HD agressively or come out with a reasonable buy back program to purchase the new version. Doing either or both would have been acceptable for me to consider moving up to a new player if the new investment was kept under $100 to $150.

Otherwise, like all of my tech from before, I'll be holding onto my HD for the next 3-4 years (or until my wife let's me buy a new one!) and I will sit and stew as everyone else has cooler toys to play with

Steve