¹ Zune HD's AMOLED Screen Is A Bright Idea - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune News

Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker
Default Zune HD's AMOLED Screen Is A Bright Idea

“Aside from the differentiating core technologies and software that the Zune HD and the Samsung Omnia PRO, the real differentiator--at least at first glance--will be the devices' gorgeous AMOLED displays. The displays will have the ability to render truer and darker blacks, vivid colors, and be more useable even under direct sunlight.”

OLEDs are a technology that we’ve been hearing about for quite some time now. It’s taken a while (far too long by my estimation!) but they are finally beginning to show up in more and more consumer devices. Of course, the one we care most about here is the forthcoming Zune HD. The one feature I’ve asked for time and again is a better display than what the current Zunes have had. The AMOLED will certainly deliver on that mark.

A side benefit that you may notice as you read about this technology is how it affects power consumption. Because the screen is not backlit, only the pixels that are active will draw power. While this could mean that if you decide to have an all black background you’ll use less power, the more practical consideration is that much of the time there are large parts of the display that are displaying nothing. Since the backlight is such a drain on the battery, this alone should significantly benefit the battery life.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:21 AM
dj_thornus
Neophyte
Default It will but...

... isn't true that the Zune HD has only an OLED screen? I haven't read anything about Active Matrix.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM
ACE
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to ACE

I thought the ZuneHD had an OLED screen, not an AMOLED screen.

wiki points out the distinction:

Quote:
In contrast to a conventional OLED, in which the anode is placed on the substrate, an Inverted OLED (IOLED) uses a bottom cathode that can be connected to the drain end of an n-channel TFT especially for the low cost amorphous silicon TFT backplane useful in the manufacturing of AMOLED displays.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Wow, guess we're going to see a whole lot more darker-themed backgrounds for the HD this time around.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I will have to look into the OLED issue...either way, I think the point remains relevant!