¹ Say Hello to the Zune HD - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Hardware

Old 05-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Say Hello to the Zune HD

See, I had this plan tonight. I was out at a meeting and was getting home a full 45 minutes before the press embargo on the Zune HD was up, so Zune Thoughts would be one of the first sites to bring you the awesome news about the Zune HD. Then a site in the UK broke their embargo and everyone was allowed to publish the news...and I didn't realize that until I got home and checked my email. So that's why Zune Thoughts is bringing you this news late - hopefully when it come to actual hands-on time with the Zune HD, we'll be able to deliver something unique and special. Without further ado, here is the Zune HD and what I'm allowed to say about it so far (yes, there are a few bits of info that I know but can't share yet).

The Zune HD is designed from the ground up to take on the iPod Touch head to head. The hardware design is completely different from previous Zunes - one look at the sleek thinness tells you that. Microsoft wanted to get some information out about the Zune HD, but they're not spilling all the details just yet. Here's what we know for sure.

The Zune Rocks a 3.3 inch OLED Touch Screen: If you haven't seen an OLED screen in person, it's hard to describe how completely OLED kicks the ass of any other screen on the playground. Think about your mobile phone from ten years ago and the screen it had, now compare that to what you have today. OLED is an even bigger improvement. It's hard to say exactly how good the screen on the Zune HD will look until I see it in person, but I've seen plenty of OLED screens at CES, everything from a cell phone screen to the screen on the OQO, to a small TV, and each and every one has impressed the hell out of me. Amazing contrast, stunning brightness, and life-like in every way. The Zune's 3.3 inch screen should make the screen on the iPod Touch pale in comparison - and the iPod Touch's screen makes the Zune 80/120 screen look bad, so that's no small feat.

My one concern? The 16:9 aspect ratio screen on the Zune HD is 480 x 272 in resolution. That resolution isn't very high - the iPod Touch has a screen resolution of 480 x 320. That's right - more pixels. The 16:9 aspect ratio gives the Zune HD a 167 PPI (pixels per inch). The iPod Touch has a higher resolution, but also a bigger screen, so it has a PPI of 163 - pretty much indistinguishable from the Zune HD. If you've seen an iPod Touch, text, photos, and videos should look basically as crisp and clear on the Zune HD. Quite a bit better than the 125 PPI of the Zune 80/120, but nowhere near as crisp and clear as the amazing 222 PPI on the Zune 8/16. I would have liked to see Microsoft go past the screen resolution on the iPod Touch, not just match it - but maybe the OLED screen will make up for that. Oh, and the Zune HD has a capacitive touch screen, just like the iPod Touch. Capacitive touch screens tend to be more sensitive to touch and are generally considered to be superior to resistive touch screens (which all touch-based Windows Mobile smartphones currently have).

The Zune HD Rocks HD Radio: I know very little about HD Radio, never having heard an HD radio broadcast in my life. You can read all about HD Radio on Wikipedia. My take on it is that it's like having a fax machine: if you have the ability to receive, but no one is sending, it's a pretty worthless technology. It looks like there are a healthy number of radio stations broadcasting HD Radio (you can check availability here), but whether or not you can find your favourite radio station broadcasting in HD Radio is anyone's guess. HD Radio has the ability to bring metadata along with the broadcast, so you can see who sings the song you're listening to, and potentially tag it for looking up later. Oh, and in case you're wondering (I was), regular FM radio is still supported.

The Zune HD Outputs HD Video: As you can guess from the name, the Zune HD is all about high-definition content. On the device, the graphics chipset (which just has to be the Nvidia Tegra chip) will support the playback of 720p video content. That's 1280 x 720 content, scaled to fit on the 3.3 inch screen of the Zune. Super high-quality video anyone? Hell yeah! Should be great. Zero word on formats - we can assume HD WMV support, and the Zune would be insane to drop MPEG4/h.264 support, but who knows...what it really needs is Xvid/Divx support to round out the offering. If Microsoft is positioning this as a video device - and with that screen, you know they are - but they're still lacking a major video codec, it's going to be a huge loss. People won't buy a device that won't play back their content. Xvid and Divx support needs to be there - and MKV support is Microsoft is serious. There will also be a dock that will output the HD video over HDMI. This makes the Zune a fantastic portable media device - rip a few DVDs, load up a few HD TV shows, and bring it with you.

The Zune HD Smurfs the Interwebs: Finally, the Zune has a browser. It's based on Internet Explorer, so I'm dubious about how well it will work, but this combined with the built-in WiFi opens up the ability of the Zune HD to use browser-based authentication, which means WiFi in hotel rooms, airports, etc. That's a critical feature that the Zune was missing, and this makes the Zune far more usable in real-world situations. How functionality will the browser be? Will it be the same browser we've seen in Windows Mobile 6.5, which isn't all that impressive? Or will it be something else? Will it support Flash? Embedded videos in formats that the device supports? The Zune HD also has an accelerometer

There's still a lot we don't know. CPU? Unknown. Storage capacity? We know it's Flash-based, no a hard drive, but we don't know the capacities. Will they match the iPod at 16 GB and 32 GB, or will they one-up them and offer a 64 GB model? Unknown. We don't know anything about the software on the device - will the video and photo apps have been improved? What about battery life? That's a big question - a big, bright OLED screen and HD video playback puts a big question mark on the battery. And what about price point? Will Microsoft match the iPod Touch, or under-cut it? And you'll notice there's no mention of it being available outside the USA right away - that's right, Microsoft is again being US-centric in their focus at launch time. It looks like Canada is going from having Zune hardware, but no marketplace, to having no new Zune hardware, and still no Zune Marketplace.

There's more analysis and thoughts from yours truly to come, but I definitely want to hear your opinion. Does the Zune HD look like something you'd want to buy? Yes, no, maybe? If not, why not? And if maybe, what are you waiting to hear confirmed before you want one?

Jason Dunn owns and operates Thoughts Media Inc., a company dedicated to creating the best in online communities. He enjoys photography, mobile devices, blogging, digital media content creation/editing, and pretty much all technology. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with his lovely wife, and his sometimes obedient dog. He really wants to get his hands on the Zune HD.

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Here's hoping for some international love this time around. Gizmodo seems to think it's so: "Other tidbits: The Zune Marketplace is set to cross oceans, coming to several western European countries and, finally, Canada."

And damn this thing looks cool. If the Tegra stuff is even half as cool as the videos show it to be, I might not know how to react

Also, I think the black back looks a lot better than the grey one. I'll hold out judgment on platinum until I see more shots. Fall can't come soon enough!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Stinger
Thinker

Please bring this to the UK with a Zune Pass option! I'm fed up of Apple charging for iPod touch software updates.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

I don't mind flash-based, but my 120 is nearly full, maybe a 128 GB ssd option? or if there is anything like that out there, I don't want them to do like the itouch and have the audiophiles stuck with last gen hardware.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Kacey Green
Pontificator

I just thought of this, WMV HD is pretty chunky you'd need more than the 120s to get a nice comfortable amount of both video and audio in there

Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 PM
SoundMix
Ponderer
Default Where's the hard drive?

Not interested, unless they have a 120GB model.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacey Green View Post
I just thought of this, WMV HD is pretty chunky you'd need more than the 120s to get a nice comfortable amount of both video and audio in there
Yeah, here's definitely a tension between a Flash-based device that will have limited storage (compared to a hard drive model) and the fact that it can play back HD content, which takes up lots of storage space. I wish Flash memory were cheaper and they could do a 128 GB device and keep the price low...but we're not there yet.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacey Green View Post
I don't mind flash-based, but my 120 is nearly full, maybe a 128 GB ssd option? or if there is anything like that out there
The problem is cost. 128 GB SSD is still very expensive - it would drive up the cost of the device to the point where it wouldn't recoup the costs of making it. I'd love a 128 GB SSD version, but not if it cost $699. So I think you're going to be out of luck - it just means you can't keep EVERYTHING you want on the Zune HD at once and have to ration your storage a bit.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Please bring this to the UK with a Zune Pass option! I'm fed up of Apple charging for iPod touch software updates.
This is a curious statement. You're saying you'd switch to the Zune if you had access to the Zune Pass, but only because the Zune updates are free? You can switch today and not have to pay for updates if you don't mind not having the Zune Pass.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Stinger
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
This is a curious statement. You're saying you'd switch to the Zune if you had access to the Zune Pass, but only because the Zune updates are free? You can switch today and not have to pay for updates if you don't mind not having the Zune Pass.
I don't think free updates is enough to swap in itself.

However, combine that with the Zune Pass, and a similar form-factor to my current iPod touch, and Microsoft might have a deal.