¹ Can't Accept The New Zune Terms of Service? Here's How To Fix That - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Can't Accept The New Zune Terms of Service? Here's How To Fix That

When you try to log into your Zune account on the desktop, that's what you see after Microsoft released the 3.1 update - you'll see that even if you're running the 3.0 software. If you click the Terms of Service (TOS) button, you're supposed to be taken to a Web page where you can view and accept the new TOS. When I clicked that button though, here's what I saw:

So guess what that meant? I couldn't log into the Zune software with my proper Canadian Passport profile, couldn't track my plays, etc. Baffled, I reached out to a contact on the Zune team and after he connected me with a support person who gave me some suggestions, I solved it: the problem, I believe, is that I have Firefox 3.0.4 installed, and because I'm Canadian I have the British English version installed - which means that my browser reports  en-GB (English-Great Britain) as part of the user agent string. I think the Zune server is detecting that and blocking me, even though there's no good reason to do so.

I fixed this by logging into the software on another of my computers, one that didn't have Firefox installed - and when the TOS page opened in IE7, I was able to approve the new TOS and then log into my account. Since there's no way to manually open the TOS URL, you probably want to shut down Firefox, make IE7 the default browser, approve the new TOS, then make Firefox your default browser again.

What a hassle! This is another reminder of how much frustration Microsoft causes when they insist on creating artificial barriers to block non US-based Zune owners from enjoying what the Zune has to offer. It's bad enough that after two years, Microsoft still hasn't fully launched this product outside the USA (remember Canada still has no Zune Marketplace) but to artificially restrict non-US users with IP address sniffing and language string detection isn't something that a platform struggling against the iPod can afford to do. Microsoft should be doing everything they can to embrace Zune users, regardless of where they are in the world, and regardless of whether or not the Zune has launched in their country.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
inteller
Banned

I guess the better question is why do you have en-GB version of Windows installed instead of a proper Canadian version? You are right, Zune is using the browser string to determine your region. It is the same reason some people are getting the wrong language installed on their machines too.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

I never understood why the TOS went through the web browser instead of in the Zune client. That makes it a real PITA.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller View Post
I guess the better question is why do you have en-GB version of Windows installed instead of a proper Canadian version?
Tell you what - if you can point me to the localized Canadian version of Firefox on their download page, I'll download it. Here's a hint: there isn't one.

I suppose what I could do instead is install the US version then use the Canadian language pack - which is almost what I do now anyway; I install the en-GB version then the Canadian spelling pack. I had assumed there were other elements of the browser that were localized for British English, which is why I installed the en-GB version.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:14 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I suppose what I could do instead is install the US version then use the Canadian language pack
What does that do? Insert "eh?" into every sentence?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
What does that do? Insert "eh?" into every sentence?
Take off you hoser, eh?

Old 11-26-2008, 04:02 AM
naruto_fan
Neophyte

hi,
I'm getting a message saying
" An Error occurred when connecting to zune marketplace "

Then when I click web help I get this
Zune.net | Web Help - C00D1374

I don't even see the connection between weather or not my zune is pluged in the right usb port but I did try most of them out, nothing.
I've checked off pretty much everything on that list then I saw this thread and was wondering if there was a link between to two..I don't know maybe?
I'm Canadian and I have 3.0.4 as well .

P.S.
Also when I try and find info on a album it says
" Can not connect to server please try again later "

I would be grateful to any help
thx
~Narutofan

Last edited by naruto_fan; 11-26-2008 at 09:43 PM..

Old 11-26-2008, 04:59 PM
inteller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Tell you what - if you can point me to the localized Canadian version of Firefox on their download page, I'll download it. Here's a hint: there isn't one.

I suppose what I could do instead is install the US version then use the Canadian language pack - which is almost what I do now anyway; I install the en-GB version then the Canadian spelling pack. I had assumed there were other elements of the browser that were localized for British English, which is why I installed the en-GB version.
well, there is an easy solution to that. Just use IE to update Zune TOS terms. Its not like you are going to burst into flames for using IE to complete a rarely accessed TOS page.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller View Post
well, there is an easy solution to that. Just use IE to update Zune TOS terms. Its not like you are going to burst into flames for using IE to complete a rarely accessed TOS page.
Did you actually read my article? Re-read the second to last paragraph please.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:19 PM
inteller
Banned

but your gripe is microsoft is making it a hassle. but they are not. It is the fault of firefox, not Microsoft.