¹ A Different Perspective on the New Zune Pass - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Content Creation & Management

Old 11-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default A Different Perspective on the New Zune Pass

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/cont...nely_cheap.html

"Microsoft has effectively dropped the price of Zune all-you-can-download subscriptions to $5.09 a month. That's how I'm viewing the new Zune Pass pricing, where subscribers keep 10 songs a month. Forever. That's $9.90, figuring 99 cents a song. Subtract from the monthly $14.99 subscription fee and you've got a net cost of $5.09 a month. Cheap. Dirt cheap."

Joe Wilcox at Microsoft Watch has an interesting perspective on the New Zune Pass. He breaks it down with an example of two teens, Jacko and Junie:

"Let's assume that both teen's parents paid for everything as part of the holiday giving. Jacko's mom and dad spent $99.99 for the Zune (online with no tax and free shipping) plus $44.97 for three months of Zune pass, for which Jacko keeps 30 songs. They paid $144.96, although the 30 songs have $29.70 value. Jacko downloaded 1,376 songs under unlimited download subscription pricing. Meanwhile, Junie's parents paid $149 (no tax because they live in New Hampshire) for the iPod nano and another $137.60 for just the music Junie wanted in the first month. They spent $286.60, and Junie is already asking for more music."

Wow. Never thought of it like that...

Old 11-24-2008, 06:01 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Oh I have. That's why I love my Zune Pass (even disregarding the the free music) and with the 10 downloads its even more valuable.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

If you think about it, the ten downloads just made the subscription fee $5 a month in the minds of most people ($1 a song for ten songs, then $5 left over). I have to say this is the kind of promo MS needs to do to sell Zunes, not lowering the price.

Nice job on their part.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Not to get really into that whole subject again but there is a huge thing about the $99.99 price point. There's a lot of market research into that price point being a sweet spot for the whole "Impulse Buy" thing. And honestly I don't think a 4GB player is worth more than $100 in this day and age

But I agree...this is far more significant than a price drop. I have a friend who was trying to decide between the iPod and Zune like I said when this was first announced and she had decided on the iPod. She's put that purchase on hold to look into this. In fact...I don't see any way this can be looked at other than an incredible deal now.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
But I agree...this is far more significant than a price drop. I have a friend who was trying to decide between the iPod and Zune like I said when this was first announced and she had decided on the iPod. She's put that purchase on hold to look into this. In fact...I don't see any way this can be looked at other than an incredible deal now.
Agreed. More of this is a good thing.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:24 PM
jaxim
Ponderer

On the surface this seems like a great deal, but I checked around the marketplace and I was hard pressed to find popular songs that came in the MP3 format.

It seems like the only big record companies that have MP3 files on the Zune marketplace are Universal and Time Warner. Sony and Columbia don't seem to have MP3s. I wish there were an advanced search feature in the Zune software so it was easier to locate MP3-only music.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to download WMA files even if they don't have DRM - MP3 is still the way to go if you want to be totally compatible with many more devices.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
Not to get really into that whole subject again but there is a huge thing about the $99.99 price point. There's a lot of market research into that price point being a sweet spot for the whole "Impulse Buy" thing.
That's a really great point - that $99 price point is a sweet spot that consumers have a natural reaction to.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
I have to say this is the kind of promo MS needs to do to sell Zunes, not lowering the price.
But why not both? What's wrong with a lower price point? Nada.