¹ Ina Fried Tests Zune Hotspots in San Francisco - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 10-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Ina Fried Tests Zune Hotspots in San Francisco

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10046542-75.html

"One of the nice things about Microsoft's new Zune is that it can download or stream songs at a hot spot. The downside: the music player won't work at just any hot spot. The big limit is that the Wi-Fi locale not only has to be free, but also of the variety that doesn't pop up a browser window before letting users online. That's because unlike the iPod Touch, the Zune has no browser."

In a repeat of her performance two years ago when she pretended to be surprised that, a mere two weeks after the device's 1.0 launch, she couldn't find another Zune owner with whom to share tracks, CNet's Ina Fried is back again, this time performing her own survey of Zune-friendly hotspots in town. Fried hits up the downtown San Francisco area and a selection of ten coffee shops, restaurants, and retail locations (including a surprising result at the Apple store), searching for a public wifi network that won't require a browser to connect. She finds that the device works at only four of the locations. Fried's point is obvious; most of the public wifi spots nowadays require some form of browser-based "I accept" page to allow you onto the network. This is a glaring oversight in Zune's implementation, to be sure, but building a browser would open another huge can of worms (literally) for Zune to address. Personally, I haven't used the new wifi features much, but when I have this restriction hasn't been that big of an issue. Let us know: is Zune's lack of browser a deal-beaker for you?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:39 AM
spoirier
Pupil

I haven't used public hotspots yet either and understand that a web browser presents some difficulties. Perhaps they could add support for the most common hotspot services that are detected automatically. The other possibility would be to detect form elements in the html code like username/password then allow the user to fill in those items to be relayed into the web page.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Adam you're a braver man than me. I couldn't take her snarky, inane comments to get past the beginning of the article.

Yeah, this is definitely a limitation. The places I use public WiFi regularly though I don't have to deal with this. My main spot is Crispers around the corner from me. The other place I use it a lot and is the place I think is the biggst issue is probably the airport. They definitely all have the accept page. And that is somewhere I would really like to be able to connect. Download a song right before a flight.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
williamc
Pupil

I wish they would develop a web browser for for the Zune, or a new Zune device that offers internet browsing. I work at a University in a non-technical position within a high technology area, and the utility and practicality of portable web browsing is a huge leap ahead for what people might expect from their pocket devices. The iTouch is justifiable as a business and education tool as much as an entertainment device, and while I am no Apple fan, it's clear that offering general internet access in addition to online music shopping is a huge draw.

If Zune offered this kind of device, I'd be on it in a second.