¹ Backwards Compatibility As A Business Decision - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Backwards Compatibility As A Business Decision

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10043442-56.html

"Even with a big update, there are still many areas where the Zune comes up short when compared to Apple's iPod. It's easy to argue that Apple still has the lead in styling, breadth of video content, add-on accessories, and software and compatibility. (Zune works only on Windows PCs.) Not to mention the fact that Microsoft has nothing to match Apple's iPod Touch with its ability to surf the Web and run a wide range of add-on programs. But there are a couple of areas where Microsoft deserves significant credit. The most important, from my perspective, is that every feature that Microsoft has added to the Zune is available for free to owners of previous generation Zunes."

I was tempted to write off this article by CNet's Ina Fried as yet another article praising Microsoft for making the 3.0 and 2.0 firmware backwards-compatible with every Zune device--something Apple and other PMP makers should have done since the start. After reading the article, however, it becomes clear that Microsoft made a strong commitment to its customers, not just in avoiding planned obsolescence, but in building up the ecosystem to provide value for every Zune owner. If I have the latest blue Zune 16), but my buddy is still rocking the brown Zune 30 that he bought back in 2006, I'm still able to beam him my favorite podcast, play him (eventually) in Texas Hold 'Em, and get that photo he took of us last week to set as a background. In centering this latest update around music discovery, Microsoft has built a strong motivation to sign up for the Zune Pass and Zune Social, both of which end up being beneficial to Zune owners and Microsoft alike.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Heatwave316
Pupil

Are there any features from 3.0 that don't work on the Zune 30?

I was thinking of picking-up a used 30 for the low price and high storage.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatwave316 View Post
Are there any features from 3.0 that don't work on the Zune 30?
Nope. The only limitations are that you don't get to use the touch-sensitive Zune Pad and the device won't natively play H.264 video, you have to have the Zune software convert it for you. Otherwise, they're feature-identical.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Heatwave316
Pupil

Thanks!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Hasn't Apple provided backwards compatibility with the 1st Generation iPhone's and iPod Touches?

It seems that they've both support two generations of hardware.

Perhaps its a race to see who can bring the most generations of hardware with them in to the future.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
Hasn't Apple provided backwards compatibility with the 1st Generation iPhone's and iPod Touches?

It seems that they've both support two generations of hardware.
Well... the touches' firmware costs $10 for each update (if you bought them all separately), and the iPhone they're trying to push as an upgradable smartphone. Plus, they only did the free update after Microsoft had the 2.0 update out for a while. I'm not saying it influenced it, but it seems that the tide is definitely shifting away from planned obsolescence, if ever so slightly.