¹ Zune Gains On The Web - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune News

Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker
Default Zune Gains On The Web

“Apple may still hold the market share for internet searches, but Microsoft is catching up with it’s Zune. New data shows that Zune’s internet traffic increased 184% since May 2007. Just take a look at these tables of the percentage of unique visitors in millions.”

Now, granted, 184% of not much still ends up being not much. But this is great for several reasons. The first is simply that I feel this shows the Zune is healthy. Maybe I wouldn’t exactly call this thriving but it is at least expanding its user base. Additionally I think that the improved social website probably has a lot to do with the increase. There’s actually a reason to go there.

Of course if this type of growth rate can sustain itself for any length of time, the Zune will move itself out from the shadow of the iPod eventually. One can always hope! Check out how the Zune stacks up over at InspireTech.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:24 PM
inteller
Banned

I think Microsoft needs to come up with a beep or something that alerts when other Zunes are nearby. If this web traffic indicates that people are out there getting Zunes, then how come I never come across someone with one?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

That's actually not a bad idea. I would like if there was a way to have a zune proximity detector

Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 PM
inteller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
That's actually not a bad idea. I would like if there was a way to have a zune proximity detector

two things would need to happen.

1. Microsoft would need to leave on by default the wireless presence option on the zune, so like after every firmware update it defaults to on. Because a LOT of people have turned it off and that defeats the whole purpose of the Social.

2. There would need to be a visible alert on the device and also there needs to be an audible click or beep through the headphones. Actually it needs to be a sexy audible, not some default system beep.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
faztang
Neophyte

I think Zune Thoughts should set up an online poll.
How many Zune owners know someone else that owns a Zune?
Or a second question "Have you ever seen someone besides yourself using a Zune?"
I have never seen another Zune being used. Not at the gym, not on the train, nowhere. When I tell people I got a Zune, 90% of them have no clue what I am talking about.
So that sharing feature, yeah, that's a complete waste.

However I do like my Zune, I don't love it, but I like it.

I have seen Zens, Sansas, iPods, and even a few iRiver devices, but to this day never saw someone using a Zune.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:20 PM
dions30
Neophyte
Default I have seen MANY!

I am actually surprised by the amount of Zunes I have come across. I have a Zune (80), my girlfriend has one (4), my little brother (8). Now all of them are due to my influence. But I also have 2 cousins with one, and a neighbor. I know this because I always talk about the ipod and then a Zune owner always seems to pop up to support me. This has happened at school (college...UM), and at a family reunion. Also I have seen RANDOM 30gb Zunes
sneak out of peoples pockets. Now I have seen many iPhones but only 6 million have been sold worldwide. But 2 million Zunes have been sold. So simple math tells me that for every iPhone I see their should be a equal number of Zunes. This is due to my thinking that not all 6 of those millions could have come from the US like the Zune numbers have.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:11 PM
David Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dions30 View Post
Also I have seen RANDOM 30gb Zunes
sneak out of peoples pockets. Now I have seen many iPhones but only 6 million have been sold worldwide. But 2 million Zunes have been sold. So simple math tells me that for every iPhone I see their should be a equal number of Zunes. This is due to my thinking that not all 6 of those millions could have come from the US like the Zune numbers have.
Well, the problem is that most of those 6 million were in the US due to the fact that the iPhone was limited to pretty much the US for its first year. I would expect to see iPhones more than Zunes anyway since people take their phones out in places they don't take out their Zunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dions30 View Post
This has happened at school (college...UM), and at a family reunion.
University of Michigan or University of Miami? (Not that I approve of either. Go Gators!)

Old 06-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by faztang View Post
I think Zune Thoughts should set up an online poll.
How many Zune owners know someone else that owns a Zune?
Unfortunately we don't yet have polling abilities here. It's something we still have to build into the system.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 PM
USArcher
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller View Post
1. Microsoft would need to leave on by default the wireless presence option on the zune, so like after every firmware update it defaults to on. Because a LOT of people have turned it off and that defeats the whole purpose of the Social.
I doubt enabling wireless presence on Zune would do anything to increase sharing. I mean, how often do you have the urge to share a song? I can see an artist wanting to share as way to interact with their fans. But for the average Joe..its gimicky if you ask me. I like other aspects of Zune Social and the potential for small groups to gather online, have some fun as they learn something about their favorite artists. Not there yet, much more work needed before people spend more time in Zune Social.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller View Post
I disagree a bit - I don't think Microsoft ever designed the Zune's social elements for one stranger to swap songs with another stranger. Yes, you technically can do that, but how many people are going to trade music with a stranger? Almost no one. The wireless sharing features are instead aimed at people swapping music with their friends, or maybe friends of friends...someone that's connected to you in some way.

Who would want to be interrupted by a "bing" whenever a stranger with a Zune walked by? What, you're going to drop what you're doing and whip out your Zune to push songs at someone you don't know before they get out of range, and they'll do the same? Nah. Not realistic.