¹ What’s Really Happening with the Zune - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default What’s Really Happening with the Zune

http://linne.wordpress.com/2008/05/...-with-the-zune/

"I bought a zune because I saw the vision Microsoft had for the XBox 360, and I fully understood the direction they were going to take the zune. and now, with the software version 2.5, they are oh so close to being there."

Aaron Linne wrote a great piece on the direction of the Zune brand. He brings up the common arguments against Zune and the Social, but rebuts them by bringing up a scenario in which Cesar Menendez sent him (and everyone else on Cesar's friend list) a link to the new Tokyo Police album. What differentiates this scenario in the Zune ecosystem from other social network/audio scrobbling services is that Zune not only features a tighter integration between the different services (e.g. one-click downloads of other peoples' recommended songs), but also the unlimited download Zune Pass. Using a Pass, I can download as many tracks as I want without any extra cost. The ones I don't like I just get rid of; I don't have to worry about wasting $20 on songs I don't really like. This is a huge value to me as a music consumer, and makes the Zune ecosystem that much stronger.

I think Linne sums up the Zune brand perfectly: "iTunes is for people who like certain musicians. Zune is for people like music."

Old 05-12-2008, 04:10 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Krebs View Post
I think Linne sums up the Zune brand perfectly: "iTunes is for people who like certain musicians. Zune is for people like music."
Absolutely. Everyone who is down on the Zune Pass always has the same reason. "I have all the music I want. I never get more." All I ever think is...that's not really a music lover. Just someoen whoe enjoys certain artists. I love new things. I never want to stop trying new artists and genres.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:33 AM
bleeman
Intellectual

That'se of the things I realized once I went with the Zune Pass. I have been amazed at all the new music I have been exposed to. At 55 I'm far from being "hip", "cool", or today's equivalent term and when I first purchased my Zune and loaded up the 14 day trial I went through checking out all the artists I grew up with. It is fun taking a trip down memory lane and quite a few of those artists have remained in my playlists. However, I then started checking out other artists and have been having a ball. Since I didn't really know where to start I came up with a simple idea. Every Sunday when the various ads come out with their "New Music Tuesday" lists, I'll go look for the artists in the Zune marketplace and check them out. That usually leads me to other artists in the same genre and then I'm off and running.

I have found only two drawbacks with the Zune pass and this approach. One, I find I have to get better at my time management or I'll look up and discover I have blown several hours cruising around the marketplace and two, I think I'm going to be looking at a Z80 soon as my Z30 just keeps sending me that "Enough Already" aka "I'm full" message.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeman View Post
I have found only two drawbacks with the Zune pass and this approach. One, I find I have to get better at my time management or I'll look up and discover I have blown several hours cruising around the marketplace and two, I think I'm going to be looking at a Z80 soon as my Z30 just keeps sending me that "Enough Already" aka "I'm full" message.
I know! There's so much music I want to check out that I feel like I sometimes go on music binges. Later I don't remember what I really want to keep or get rid of, and my collection just gets huge and out-of-control. This is when I start to miss the five-star rating system; sometimes I can't remember what my heart (or 5-star) values mean. I hope the Zune team can bring in a new rating system--one that is useful and reduces complexity.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Stinger
Thinker

Quote:
"iTunes is for people who like certain musicians. Zune is for Americans who like music."
Fixed for you. I do wish Microsoft would hurry up and release the Zune world-wide. Either that or Apple would hurry up and offer a similar scheme.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
rohitharsh
Pupil
Default Well there is an opertunity there...

First of all let me start by saying how true the following statement is:
“iTunes is for people who like certain musicians. Zune is for people who like music.”
Sadly there are very few people who actually like music and most of them like “certain musicians”. However for MS to break into this space I think they are doing the right thing. First build the brand among music enthusiast. I am not sure how successful they have been with that. Anyway I do agree that music discoverability in Zune is much better than iTunes.
Secondly I too face the same problem with Zune pass. There is just so much that I end up downloading a lot of music and then some of them get lost. I think there is a great opportunity for the Zune team to innovate here. There has got to be some features or some way of discovering music from your own library. I would really hate to see them bring back the start rating system to solve this problem. I think there should be some sort of tagging system jut like we do with pictures. Maybe they should start to show “related artist” from ones own library. I really think they can innovate here by making discoverability of music from ones own collection easy and simple.
The Zune 2.5 update was good and I like it so far. It is also great to see two update cycle namely spring and fall. I am wondering what they will add in the next one considering a lot of missing features has been added.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Vipralion
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to Vipralion

Quote:
That's a great quote right there.

Although it should be, "... Zune is for people who like music."

My only negative of the Zune Pass is the fact that you will occasionally run across certain songs that can't be downloaded. They must be purchased. But why?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
[DEVIL'S ADVOCATE]
Could you also say that iTunes are for people that don't want the risk of losing their library if the company goes belly up. Or if they decide to try another store.
Or if they miss their monthly payment. <poof!> Its all gone.

Will you remember all of the songs that you liked to recreate your library with some other store?
[/DEVIL'S ADVOCATE]

Okay enough of that. I like to own my music. But I am tempted to try it for a while to see if its cost justified. I don't buy music that often. But if I have the freedom to listen to whatever I like, perhaps I'll browse more often.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson View Post
[DEVIL'S ADVOCATE]
Could you also say that iTunes are for people that don't want the risk of losing their library if the company goes belly up. Or if they decide to try another store.
Or if they miss their monthly payment. Its all gone.

Will you remember all of the songs that you liked to recreate your library with some other store?
[/DEVIL'S ADVOCATE]

Okay enough of that. I like to own my music. But I am tempted to try it for a while to see if its cost justified. I don't buy music that often. But if I have the freedom to listen to whatever I like, perhaps I'll browse more often.
I think you have that backwards - iTunes users (or anyone purchasing DRM'd music) ARE the folks at risk of losing their library if the company goes belly up or try another store. If you purchase DRM-free music, then you are correct, iTunes users are not at risk.

However, your Subscription music isn't "lost" if you miss a payment or switch to another store - you just download it again. I guess "forgetting" your favorite music is a possibility, but if you have forgotten it - is it really still your favorite?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Quote:
I think Linne sums up the Zune brand perfectly: &quot;iTunes is for people who like certain musicians. Zune is for people like music.&quot;
Not really. This is more about owning what you listen to versus temporary usage (not that there is anything wrong with that). Considering how flat Zune sales are, there must not be very many people that like music

Last edited by Macguy59; 05-24-2008 at 02:29 AM..