¹ Zune 2.5 Bug List: Start Listing Your Bugs - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune 2.5 Bug List: Start Listing Your Bugs

As nice as some of the features are in the new update, software is never coded perfectly, so I'm not surprised to see some bugs and flaws in the software. I think it might be helpful from a reference point of view to have a master list of bugs that the Zune Thoughts community has spotted. We can compile a list of feature requests later, but for now let's focus on actual bugs: things that used to work, and were broken by this new update, or things that were broken in 2.3 and remain broken in 2.5. Here's my list:
  • In the 2.3 software, if you were on the music collection tab, you could start typing and it would instantly filter your songs down and show you what you wanted to hear. That feature is either gone, or broken, in the 2.5 release when you're on the artists view (which is the default when you start up the software). If you switch to the songs view, it will work, and strangely enough it will then start working on the artists view. The performance is much worse - it will consistently miss the first character I type. [Thanks to Grahm from ABI for noticing this first.]
  • I just re-connected my red Zune 8, the same Zune 8 that I'd connected earlier today for my videos, and the software informed me that this Zune is linked to another computer. What? I've only ever connected this Zune to one computer. I rebooted the Zune 8, but that didn't help - the software refused to recognize the Zune as having been previously partnered with it. This is bad - did the Zune team hire people from the Windows Mobile ActiveSync team?
  • The new Sync Groups functionality is awesome...in theory. It doesn't seem to work properly - I created a sync group for photos, set it to seven days, and watched as it pulled 100 photos, seemingly at random, from my pictures folder. Some of the photos date back to 2002. I found a few of the photos in question and carefully examined the EXIF data, file data, etc. - none of it is stamped within seven days. So however the Zune software is examining the files, it's doing it wrong.
  • When you delete photos off the device, it removes the images but leaves behind the empty directories - I have a bunch of grey boxes showing the folder name and "0". I disconnected the Zune, rebooted it, and re-connected it - and all the phantom images were gone. I shouldn't have to do that.
So that's what I've noticed so far - what about you? Post your bugs...

Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 AM
grommet
Pupil

Zune "Gapless" doesn't seem to be gapless for any LAME 3.97 VBR MP3 rips I've done via Exact Audio Copy or equivalent. WMA albums are gapless 100% of the time, however... so Zune Pass albums that have audio that bleeds between tracks are 100% covered. Some people have posted gapless success with MP3, but I'm not sure how they were encoded. Amazon MP3 is all LAME MP3 VBR, so their whole catalog might be impacted. Or maybe it's just me?

Same LAME VBR MP3 albums are gapless on iPod/iTunes, Winamp, etc.

Last edited by grommet; 05-07-2008 at 12:36 AM..

Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 AM
sboots
Pupil
Default TV Out

On my Zune 30 with the 2.5 firmware, it appears that TV out may be broken. I have an Altec Lansing speaker/dock and it's connected to an old TV in my workout room. I switched the Zune to TV out and the TV screen blinked and the Zune screen went dark. No picture on the TV. I rebooted the Zune, no change. I've got another Zune 30 here, so I'll check that out either tomorrow or Thursday.
-steve

Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 AM
qyv42
Pupil

While the Zune client was installing on my PC (running Vista), I started to get odd screen flickers, which have persisted even after closing the Zune client once installed, and even through a reboot. It's as though the install updated a video driver or something. I'm assuming it's weirdness with my system for now, but will be interested to see if others have the same issue.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Lotheric
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyv42 View Post
While the Zune client was installing on my PC (running Vista), I started to get odd screen flickers, which have persisted even after closing the Zune client once installed, and even through a reboot. It's as though the install updated a video driver or something. I'm assuming it's weirdness with my system for now, but will be interested to see if others have the same issue.
I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and the upgrade from 2.3 to 2.5 went without any issues for me. No flickering or graphical glitches...

Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyv42 View Post
While the Zune client was installing on my PC (running Vista), I started to get odd screen flickers, which have persisted even after closing the Zune client once installed, and even through a reboot. It's as though the install updated a video driver or something.
It sounds like your video card and/or driver isn't fully compatible with the Zune software (which is odd if it's anything from the past few years). Go into SETTINGS > DISPLAY > DISABLE VIDEO ENHANCEMENT. Although I can't explain how/why you'd see screen flickers when the Zune software isn't running - that's just bizarre. Were you seeing this with the version 2.3 software?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 AM
snap
Pupil
Unhappy Still problems w/ compilation albums (various artists)

There are still problems with Various Artist compilation albums. After the 2.5 upgrade, I lost some "song artist" tags and the Zune software also replaced my album art for some of them by:

1. Picking (randomly?) one of the artists in the compilation
2. Picking (randomly?) one of that artist's albums
3. Using that artist's album as the album art for that compilation

Example: for the Singles Soundtrack there is a track by Jimi Hendrix. My album art for this album was replaced by an album cover from a Jimi Hendrix album.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 AM
sboots
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboots View Post
On my Zune 30 with the 2.5 firmware, it appears that TV out may be broken. I have an Altec Lansing speaker/dock and it's connected to an old TV in my workout room. I switched the Zune to TV out and the TV screen blinked and the Zune screen went dark. No picture on the TV. I rebooted the Zune, no change. I've got another Zune 30 here, so I'll check that out either tomorrow or Thursday.
-steve
Same problem on the other Zune 30 I have here. I'll have to dig up the A/V cable set and see if it is the Zune or the Altec Lansing dock that is having a problem, but I don't think it is the dock. The picture was fine the evening before the firmware update.
-steve

Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 AM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboots View Post
Same problem on the other Zune 30 I have here. I'll have to dig up the A/V cable set and see if it is the Zune or the Altec Lansing dock that is having a problem, but I don't think it is the dock. The picture was fine the evening before the firmware update.
-steve
I'll try to give it a test with my Zune 80 - maybe it's just the 30?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Hey guys, if you're having problems with the Zune software reading your metadata properly - screwing up the song associations with albums and album art - use the Zune collection reset tool. It seems to have fixed all my problems...