¹ Zune 2.5 Spring Update: Finally, Some Serious Software Updates! - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Software

Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune 2.5 Spring Update: Finally, Some Serious Software Updates!

"It’s simple to create an automatically updated playlist based on rules you set from within your PC software. Those rules can include specific artists, genres, ratings, years, even your mood. As your collection grows, tracks that fit your criteria will automatically be added." - From The Zune Spring Update 2008 Reviewer's Guide

[Click to view high-resolution version of the above image.]

In the same way that the second-generation Zune hardware is really what we should have had at the v1 launch, the Zune 2.5 desktop software is really what we should have had last November when the v2 players launched - they've finally added back the things that every music player software needs, namely auto-playlists and the ability to edit album and track information. The stuff that was there in the v1 software, then removed (or, more accurately, not added in yet) when the v2 software came out. Here's what the reviewer's guide has to say about track and metadata editing:

"Want to change the artist name on a song? Drag and drop the song to the artist. Want to change the genre of an album? Drag and drop the album into the new genre – the Zune software will update to reflect your changes.
The advanced metadata editing features make it easy to edit multiple tracks or survey album and artist information. Display info about any album in your collection; right click and select ‘find album info’ and quickly find the song names, the release year, the genre and more. You can quickly and universally apply these changes.

If you have an image saved to your clipbook, you can paste that image to replace the album art on any album in your music collection. You can click multiple albums and edit them all at the same time – just select them and the software will guide you through it. By right-clicking on any given song, you can quickly edit the artist, album, song title, genre and more."

Sounds like a winner, no? I'll see how well it works tomorrow morning - and I'm really curious to see if it can read my files properly, because I'm still having some issues with my songs not showing up properly in the Zune software. I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM
seedoubleyou
Neophyte
Default initial thoughts (no pun intended :) )

Updated my software and such this morning... good 'ole windows, had to reboot...

3 min later...

- It would appear they're pulling music meta data from a different source or something now as in using the software to lookup an album I am noticing that genre information is different than what it was prior. Has allmusic.com improved itself too? Wouldn't that be great. I liked this updated tool, I only hope it is stable, reliable, and actually properly populates my plays on the social. It is kind of a bummer that I am going to have to re-analyze my entire collection to update genre information and such.

- Where do we enable/disable gapless playback? Or is it enabled all the time by default now. Honestly, no complaints there if it is.

- Social/Zune website appears to be down 'resting', so its hard to judge what I can't even see and play with yet.

- Connecting my Zune80 to my v2 Car adapter this morning even pushed an update out to that accessory. I wonder if they somehow improved signal reception or something.

That's my initial .02... anyone else?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM
andre
Pupil

still downloading now but...

i don't have the option of creating an autoplaylist based upon subgenre which they used to have in v1 ZMP and WMP which is nice if you want to break up a genre (like rock) into different styles of rock.

i am guessing i am in the minority here as iTunes doesn't allow you to do that either.

I guess my best choice is to level up subgenre to the genre level...

Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
theone3
Intellectual

Wow! There's now support for non-wmv meta-data and built in tag editing! I just got my zune a couple of weeks ago, and this was my biggest gripe with it - I already have an iPod 160 (which I will eventually trade in) filled with mp4s, and was procrastinating on re-converting them. Gotta love Microsoft for supporting and updating their devices like this.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I woke up at 5:45am so I could start testing and doing videos, and am in the midst of rendering my screencasts. All in all, I'm quite impressed with what I'm seeing so far!

Old 05-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone3 View Post
Wow! There's now support for non-wmv meta-data and built in tag editing!
Tell me more about this...I've been poking at video metadata and while they've added some categories (TV, movies, etc.) there are only a couple and you can't add your own. So it's better, but still very limited.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
i don't have the option of creating an autoplaylist based upon subgenre which they used to have in v1 ZMP and WMP which is nice if you want to break up a genre (like rock) into different styles of rock.
I have to admit that I've never thought of music in terms of sub-genre, and as you pointed out if iTunes doesn't support it, most people are probably ok with listing by genre (although iTunes doesn't have folder monitoring either, which is just stupid, so maybe they're not the best judge of what's needed).

Myself, I have quite a few genres that would probably really be sub-genres ('80s Pop, '70s Pop, Christian Pop, Christian Hard Rock, etc.) but I don't mind having a long list of genres.

The new auto-playlist stuff is GREAT - I'm going to do a video once I play with it some more...

Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Did they fix the woeful Videos view? Can you actually see the title and the episode? How about a grid view?

I'm updating now, but I'm impatient...

Old 05-06-2008, 04:01 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Nevermind - question answered:
Quote:

• Browsing videos. Consumers can browse their video collection by genre and series, plus they can preview videos before they play them on full screen.
http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/showthread.php?t=88947

Old 05-06-2008, 04:06 PM
onlydarksets
Oracle

Omigosh - you can edit Video metadata as well, including the type! Goodbye, Sharpie!