¹ Sometimes My Zune Just Won't Turn On - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Hardware

Old 12-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Sometimes My Zune Just Won't Turn On

I've read scattered reports about this online, but the problem is now personal: remember that black Zune that I gave away? Well, that same week I received a white review unit from Microsoft, and was allowed to keep the unit. I knew about the review unit back in November, which is why I (thankfully) only had to buy one Zune for myself rather than two. I need two for testing sharing features. At any rate, the winner of the black Zune was offered his choice of the brand new black or brand new white Zune, and he picked the white one. Lucky for him, because the black Zune is screwed up.

I just started using it a couple of days ago, and I've noticed a very consistent problem: it won't turn on. This morning I tried to turn it on by pressing and holding the Play/Pause button. Nothing happened. Then, about 60 seconds later, it turns on coming out of a full reboot. What's most curious about this is that I can put the black Zune into sleep mode, and it will turn on correctly. I can put it into suspend mode (by holding down Play/Pause) and it will turn on correctly - sometimes. I was just testing this again and it won't turn on for me now at all. If I try forcing a reset, the third or fourth time it will work. Not cool at all - is anyone else seeing similar behaviour with their Zune? I'm dreading calling tech support, because with my luck they won't do anything for me because I'm in Canada.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:12 PM
velvet elvis
Neophyte

mine does that sometimes also... really kinda sucks

Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

The problem is it wasn't designed to operate in Canada

Old 12-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Crystal3
Pupil

I have the problem intermittently with mine too.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:29 PM
sigur
Neophyte
Default same problem

I have a brown zune with same minor problem . BTH, from canada too

Old 12-23-2006, 12:42 AM
LPD
Ponderer

Thankfully my Zune has not had that problem. If I had to quess, its a faulty contact inside the play button. If any of you having the problem call Microsoft technical support I'd really like it if you posted how the call went and if they will replace your Zune. They should, its under warrenty. It would be interesting to see how good the support is. That might make a good forum topic area - Zune Support Experiences.

Last edited by LPD; 12-23-2006 at 12:44 AM..

Old 12-30-2006, 11:46 PM
NPrtmn4evr
Ponderer

The same thing has happened to me once or twice. It's not a common problem, but I freak out when it happens. At least I know it's not just mine.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:47 PM
cdavis1962
Neophyte
Default Ditto

Yes I have a black zune that I got on the first day, and true enough my zune zoned out.... I thought maybe the firmware update would help, but just yesterday in the car in the middle of a long mix, it went out only to return after 30 minutes of trying different things. I thought it was just a static thing. I still like my zune though when it works it's awesome.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Onelillumberjill
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to Onelillumberjill Send a message via Yahoo to Onelillumberjill
Angry The Same Has happened to me.

Several times I have tried to use my Zune and it just doesn't turn on. Just a black screen. It really pisses me off sometimes. Today I had just downloaded some music and decided to put it on my Zune. I plug my Zune into my computer....and nothing....my computer doesn't even reconize it. I tried everything. Restarting the computer, unplugging the zune, locking the zune, and unlocking it, I even tried to plug it into another computer. Same thing. So, I had the guts to call up the customer support place for Zune. The first time I called I was on hold forever. Then I recalled and got someone right away. He went over so many things with me with my Zune to fix the problem. And I asked him "Has anyone ever called there and complained that their Zune has never turned on?" And he says "No." Thats total bulls***. I was on other bloggers and they had several people call and complain. So, what ended up happening is he said that it will need to be repaired. He told me it could be over a month until I could get my new Zune. Thats crap.