¹ Zune Not Compatible With USB Hubs? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Hardware

Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune Not Compatible With USB Hubs?

Since pairing my Zune with my Media Center PC, I've been using the front USB port as the connecting port for the Zune cradle, and it's worked perfectly. Today I decided that the USB cable connecting to the front port looked a bit sloppy, so I connected the cradle to a generic 7 port USB hub that I have connected to the back of my Shuttle SN95G5 PC. I connected the Zune to the cradle...and Windows XP started giving me errors about the USB device not being recognized. I tried several other ports on the hub, and all resulted in the same errors. I've since re-arranged my USB devices, moving the wireless mouse/keyboard to the USB hub, freeing up a direct USB port for the Zune - and it's now working just fine. So that makes me wonder if the Zune is one of those devices that just doesn't play nice with USB hubs (like some Pocket PCs and Smartphones). Has anyone has similar problems with their Zune and USB hubs?

Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus

I have connected my Zune through the USB hub built into the Dell UltraSharp monitors without any issue.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I'm using a 7 port hub with no problems.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
KevinCTofel
Neophyte
Default No probs here

I've got a 7-port USB hub from Kensington; works fine with the Zune in both XP and Vista RTM.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Thanks for the replies guys, it seems I have a lame hub.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:29 AM
poxtomod
Neophyte
Default this is no problem, this is just how the software works

I think this is an issue with the zune software on initial setup fixing that exact usb port as its home port. All others will give you problems, if anyone wants to verify this, though I think I have, just switch usb plugs and try to use the software. You will most likely get problems. My sony psp does this and when it does it wont even recognize it as a drive destination.
You might have to reinstall the Zune softwre to reset the "determined " usb port. As a note if I move my sync cable to the other front usbport I get errors and problems syncing. I believe your computer starts recognizing the zune and the software then encounters problems with the new hookup location.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 AM
mrozema
Intellectual

I've got it plugged in through my Dell 19" Ultrasharp LCD's usb hub without a problem...
As nice as USB may seem on the exterior, it sure does suck when it comes to anything beside the most basic set-ups. I hear horror stories almost every day about what people try to do with our USB-based products.