¹ Zune Cards: Only Fun for Americans? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune Cards: Only Fun for Americans?

With the release of the second generation Zune product, we've seen how, here and there, the Zune team has locked out people from outside the USA. I can't look at the Zune Originals Web site. I can't sign in with my Xbox Live Passport account, I have to create a fake Passport account without any billing information. The latest part of The Social that I can't join in on is the Zune card. Here's my Zune card:

Notice anything strange there? No plays. No content. I assure you, I've been using my Zune, and I've been signing in as AmericanToday first before docking my Zune. But none of my playlist content ever shows up - and without that, the Zune card concept is dead. I understand the reasons why the Zune Marketplace content can't be sold outside the USA (lawyers rule our world), but I can't think of a single reason why the Zune team would deny non-US users the fun of using and sharing music with the Zune card. Sure, we can't necessarily buy the songs directly from the Zune Marketplace, but there are other ways to legally purchase music in almost any country in the world.

Like Regan said to Gorbachev, I say to the Zune team (with a wink and a smile): tear down this [IP filter] wall!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:19 PM
asif2020
Pupil
Default That's right!

Cut the barriers, Microsoft!! There are loads of people hoping for a glimpse of the ZuneOriginals website... I mean, that's the least Microsoft can do for now since us non-US citizens can't purchase the Zune products yet.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

I think this would make a significant number of people much happier. Microsoft needs to take this step to allow non-US users to experience the software and Social, even just as a teaser of what can be. One doesn't need a Zune device to use the software and Social, so that part should also be left out of the decision.

P.S. Love the Gorbachev reference

Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM
rom
Pupil
Default Mine is working fine..

I'm from the Philippines, but I can access my zunecard without a problem and it is also updating itself with recent played songs..

http://social.zune.net/member/romanctp

"My Friends" are also from the Philippines.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

the same thing happened to me, i finally got tired of it so i deleted my entire zune database and reimported everything. then i made sure that all the items that reimported had the right meta data and now it shows some of the songs i play

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
I'm from the Philippines, but I can access my zunecard without a problem and it is also updating itself with recent played songs..
Wow. Ok, so then I have *no* idea why I'm not getting any of my songs up on my card.