¹ Zune 30 Firmware Update: Old is Made New - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Hardware

Old 11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zune 30 Firmware Update: Old is Made New

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEKUVebnxH4

What's going to happen when you install the new Zune software (which should come out tomorrow for general download) and you dock your old Zune 30? This video has all the details...let's just say you'll look at your Zune in a whole new way! I can't say enough about this: the Zune team did a great thing for Zune owners by allowing this firmware update to improve their old devices. I imagine many Zune owners will be interested in the new hardware, but this software updates the Zune in nearly every way - all for free. Would Apple do that for its customers? No way. Go Zune!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Tevin
Neophyte

dang gimmie gimmie more of it i want to see how the rating system in everything is lol THANKS ANYWAY!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:13 PM
enjoythemusic
Pupil

Jason,

With the new firmware, is the Zune 30 also seen (and can be used) as a simple external HD by a computer or car radio with USB input?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
With the new firmware, is the Zune 30 also seen (and can be used) as a simple external HD by a computer or car radio with USB input?
No, none of the Zunes can't connect to a PC and be seen as a hard drive. I'm working on a front-page post about this now. Nothing has changed there unfortunately. Not sure about the car radio with a USB input...I kind of doubt it if it's based upon a mass storage mount system.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Ambush510
Neophyte

lookin forward to the new firmware

Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor

Why didn't your Zune30 show up as the correct picture on the software? It seems to think your Zune30 is a Zune80...

Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Krebs View Post
Why didn't your Zune30 show up as the correct picture on the software? It seems to think your Zune30 is a Zune80...
Not sure. Just connected it again and it comes up with the correct picture for the Zune 30. I miss the double-shot effect actually.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:05 PM
mrozema
Intellectual

The current Zune 30 firmware hasn't let me access it with my car stereo system either. I guess just looks for a mass storage device as Jason guessed.

I can't wait for the new firmware to show itself publicly!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
enjoythemusic
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
No, none of the Zunes can't connect to a PC and be seen as a hard drive. I'm working on a front-page post about this now. Nothing has changed there unfortunately. Not sure about the car radio with a USB input...I kind of doubt it if it's based upon a mass storage mount system.
So even the new 80 can not be seen as a normal HD? If so, MAJOR bummer! i JUST bought a iPod Classic 160 and while the Kenwood DNX7100 easily saw it as an external HD and ran fine that way, the Kenwood can also hook up an iPod so the Kenwood's touch screen controls the iPod BUT (and this is a big but), the audio/video is via the analog output. As you may know, the iPod sound quality via analog is lackluster.

PLEASE let me know if the 80 can be seen as an external HD or if anyone has a hack for the Zune so i can use it as an external HD with the Kenwood unit. My goal is for mass storage HD use and for portable earphone use. Sure i can buy an external HD (smallest HD size) as the Kenwood will power it yet would also like something i can listen/watch when not using the Kenwood system.

Lastly, if i update the 30 does the new firmware remove the EQ feature?

Many thanks.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 11-13-2007 at 12:06 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
1shado1
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
...Lastly, if i update the 30 does the new firmware remove the EQ feature? Many thanks.
The EQ is left intact on the 30 after the update.